1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 8 After one week

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Hopeful, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

So, I've finished week 1 of the program. I'm having a lot of pain but am still hopeful. One thing that I'm struggling with is the idea that the most important thing is to just unearth the emotions. I feel like I'm aware of many things that cause me to feel anger, fear, sadness, etc., but that my problem is that these emotions keep me upset and stressed out. Some of my personality traits do too. When I journal, I'm often writing about emotions that I'm aware of. So, do I need to only be aware (which to some extent I think I am) or also try to rid myself of these emotions and traits that keep these negative emotions flowing?

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Hopeful. You're on the right track by thinking or journaling about your repressed emotions and personality traits,
    but Dr. Sarno says it's enough to bring them to the surface. You don't have to try to solve problems or emotions from the past.
    Your subconscious just wants you to recognize them. Of course, if you can make peace with the past, so much the better.
    Thinking about the troubled emotions often can lead to better understanding the people and situations that caused problems.
    Understanding can lead to forgiving. I found that true in dealing with my childhood anger and feelings of abandonment.
    Forgiving is such a great release and it is a big help in relieving pain. Good luck as you progress in the SEP.