1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Affirmations and relapses

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by filipe, Oct 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. filipe

filipe Peer Supporter

Hi,

I'm doing some affirmations to avoid relapses in my TMS chronic pain problem. Unfotunately it seem to do me worst? Why? Because it reminds me bad times, when I was in pain... back than I tryed everything, than I noticed that focusing on other stuff was the solution...

Can you please comment?

I think affirmations are great, and sometimes, when I don't make associations with my pain, they make me feel so good... but often I associate them to my chronic pain problem of the past... I cured my self from chronic pain, because I shift my attention from pain... But I had a relapse some weeks ago, due to stress, and now, that I'm already better, I'm trying everything to avoid relapses in the future... I try to reprogram my brain... What do you think I'm doing wrong? Can you break these associations? I really need to change my way of thinking, to be stronger in the future... every stressful event makes me really bad...

2. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

For me affirmations are a form of denial .... my brain knows I'm BS it
    For me learning not to resent the pain or the cause of the pain helps