1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Advice on conditioning (straight leg test)

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by olli, Feb 12, 2014.

1. olli

olli New Member

Hi all

It's been about one week since I picked up Dr. Sarno's book and 4 days since I discovered this forum.
    I have gone from great pain 8/10 to almost pain free 2/10. Amazing. along side with my back pain for 18 years i have not been able to stretch out my right leg for at long as I can remember. Dr. Sarno mentions the "straight leg test" which is the one I cannot do. I Cannot sit upright and raise right leg.

This due to "tight hamstrings" due to my "back injury". I guess I am extremely conditioned to expect pain if I try. Although almost pain free now in my back and legs, i am completely unable to sit upright and raise my right leg. If I try I raise it 5 inches and immediate pain comes.

I have accepted the TMS diagnosis and it has helped, but i feel I am very very long from even trying to do these movements. any specific advice to how to move forward on this.

I also feel that there could still be "structural" reason because the hamstring must be tight, after all these years. So I can't reject the possible structural reason. So that is stopping me. Should I absolutely avoid doing physical stretching.....?

thanks
    Olli

2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

It hasn't been long since you had surgery olli. I would take it easy and just do the journaling work. You did start the SEP program so that Awesome and the focus on the body has got to go by just not paying attention to your body and in time you will gain a conditioning to think psychological instead of physical.

You had a surgery right, and you now believe its tms or tension generated with stress and repressions and all that stuff we just don't like to face , right. So lose the fear of any problems in the future. See yourself as healed now -- in the now. Know that your pain is from mild oxygen deprivation and that's it. This oxygen deprivation is caused by life pressures and repressions -- a loss of happiness.

If you still think structural then that will hold you back. I know there are some Drs. That say some back pain can be structural but really if they are tms Drs. trained under Sarno then the only thing that would cause pain structurally in your back would be cancer and that's not the case.

You have learned a new paradigm now. Think psychological. Rid yourself of the structural paradigm and learn to love life all over again. Dream big Dreams and see yourself doing all you wish to do.

I don't know about a straight leg test but I'm sure someone will be able to answer that question but I really wouldn't concern myself with those thoughts. Rise above those fear thoughts and cultivate hope. You'll be fine

In time you will thank me if you stay course. Bless you

Emre likes this.
  3. olli

olli New Member

thanks, I will let it be for now, no stretching, and not worry about it. I actually did the one week check up today after operation and the Dr. did that same test, sitting straight up and raising the leg, that's why I got thinking about it. Of course I couldn't do it, it hurt like crazy just lifting the leg 5 inches, and it puzzled the Dr.
    He had no clue. But i know its conditioning, I have learned that is suppose to hurt,.......so coming home I guess i just have the urge to get rid of it fast....and start thinking how etc.

I'll just take it easy, it only hurts if I try to do it, and perhaps that part also gets better by itself just like the back and leg pain as i progress on the psychological areas

thanks

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  4. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes that part will get better too olli. Just like the back and leg pain. You will also have other issues that your just used to and you don't pay attention to get better also.
    Thanks

5. PepperGirl

PepperGirl Peer Supporter

Hi again!
    After just posting when reading how your other post was just like my situation - so it this one!!
    I too focus on this despite the pain being very much diminished these days. My leg that had all the pain still won't stretch like it used to. WhenI go to a Pilates class I can't bend over my right leg to stretch my hammerstrings at all but I can on the left. It's weird and I have to work very hard on not focusing on the physical on this one. I think that this is why there still is a tightness, I still have a resistance and the work is not done and dusted on thinking 'physiological'! For a time I stopped going to the Pilates classes as I found I got upset about the crazy lack of flexibility and I was conscious I couldn't do the class properly (even though the pain was so much better!). However, I went a few weeks ago again and there was improvement. Still not as flexible as I was prior to it all but it's better. I totally think Herbie is right - channel your mind into not dwelling on it, don't keep stretching. Treat it like a bad habit. Ignore it - get calmer and find peace and I do believe this will come in time. It is something I work on and I am a long time knowing about TMS. You have just had surgery - calm it all right down.

6. olli

olli New Member

Thanks PepperGirl
    Nice to read about. I guess the turnaround was so quick, literally two days, i was hoping to solve everything real fast. I still have only 2/10 pain, but i cant bend forward, raise right leg etc. etc. it is very strong conditioning over many years so it will take time, so will it to get rid of the last pain and fear I guess.

thx
    Olli