1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Advice needed on yoga

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by veronica73, Jul 27, 2012.

1. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

Any other yogis/yoginis here? I have been doing yoga on and off since 1997. I haven't been doing yoga since I started working on TMS in January. I would like to get back to it because I love the poses, the breathing, the mindfulness, and the yoga community. I'm just worried because most yoga classes seem to put a heavy emphasis on asana (the poses), how they can help your back, etc. In fact, one class I used to go to a lot, the teacher starts every class by asking students what they want to work on and most people get into a laundry list of physical ailments--most of which are very TMSy.

I'm not sure how to tune out the over-emphasis on the physical in yoga classes. Anyone else run into this issue? How did you deal with it?

Namaste,
    Veronica

2. Lori

Lori Well known member

I totally ignore the comments the instructor makes about back pain, who has this, who has that. Fortunately those in the class with me aren't complainers about ailments because I might catch myself eye-rolling! :rolleyes: If I had to hear about pose what helps this or that, I might just have to find another yoga class.

I am there for the exercise only. Not to help with any physical ailment. And it works out just fine! :)

3. Livvygurl

Livvygurl Well known member

It seems like most people believe that physical problems are structural. There are people at gyms and yoga studios that believe the dogma of the larger medical community. Sadly, they speak of the the body as if it were a fragile instrument that is falling apart. Some yoga teachers are really open minded, though. So I'd say feel your way through it and see what is right for you! I am considering joining a gym and have some similar feelings about the vibe of the scene. Knowing about TMS is almost like a big secret –– one that we want people to know about!

4. veronica73

I also bellydance and we're told about what the warm up stretches are for (opening hips so you can shimmy better, etc.) but this feels more functional and less about "what's wrong" so it doesn't bother me. I did yoga for years before having pain and I didn't notice all the pain talk or I'd occasionally notice it but figure that it was about people who had some kind of injury or serious disability.

I am mostly going for the exercise aspect, breath awareness, and the spiritual side of yoga. I think I will look around for some classes that are more in line with that.

Livvy, I hear you--I wish more people knew about TMS!

5. Livvygurl

Livvygurl Well known member

Yoga is awesome for the above reasons and belly dancing sounds like great fun!!!

On another note about body movement I was wondering if people get out of bed really carefully or just roll out of bed in the morning. I was trained to roll to one side and then slowly push myself up to a sitting position, I learned this in “Back School” and not of the Sarno variety. I want to get back up to full speed so I am carefully going over all my old habits and automatic responses to reassess if they are still working for me.

6. veronica73

It's so funny you ask this--I have not even thought about that in months until now, but it used to be a concern of mine. Apparently I'm now sitting up any old way and am not having much or any pain...so I think it doesn't matter.

Livvygurl likes this.
  7. Lori

Lori Well known member

awesome!!! :)

8. veronica73

Lori, it's great. And the motto of the dance group I study with is, "The body is a good place to be!" :)

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  9. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

V, I imagine that a teacher who enables people with complaints will end up with more and more students who have complaints, so yep, you just need to cycle through the various studios until you find a more vigorous class. Perhaps with younger participants, LOL! Or get DVDs from the library.

I had a personalized yoga routine designed for me that I can do at home, although I haven't done it for months now that I'm more into aerobics and weight training. I often do standing poses for warm-up, and in class we do floor poses for abs and cool down. Still love yoga, and it has served me very well.

10. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Yeah, I used to do that business of roll to the side and sit on the edge, but now I just sit up any old way. I simply don't worry about my back anymore - I just appreciate how strong and flexible it is. It's a wonderful thing.

Livvygurl likes this.
  11. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

I used to go to a yoga class led by this very experienced Indian man who studied with some top people. He was brilliant but I do recall him telling me more than once, "you really need to watch your back", meaning if I wasn't careful not only with the poses but with my every day activities, I would injure myself.

I now go to a Pilates studio run by a man who is also an alternative therapist. Many people are treated by him for injuries and use the studio as well so there is plenty of banter about all sorts of conditions and how Pilates can help. I ignore all this by zoning out, concentrating on my own routine and my breathing. But I understand with yoga it's a bit different as you all work on the same positions at one time. Perhaps you can override the nocebos with some affirmations. And as others have said, shop around until you find a suitable group.

veronica73 likes this.
  12. veronica73

I think I may need to just do my own yoga practice at home or maybe do a Reiki/yoga trade with one of my yoga teacher friends for individual classes from time to time.

13. sewmuch

sewmuch Member

I am getting caught up on older posts...I did yoga 2-3 times a week for 7 years, mostly in a class. Stopped for a variety of reasons (mostly my guru retired), but I still practice at home on my own and let my mind and body do what it needs. Keep looking for a class that has an instructor, program, and surroundings you like. I personally like my yoga to be about silence, letting go, getting in the moment and flow so that mediatation whne you body is realxed at the end comes easily. Hard to do that when the instructor and/or participants talk and analyze too much.

honeybear424 and veronica73 like this.
  14. honeybear424

honeybear424 Well known member

I've been doing yoga daily for a little over a year. I went to class twice weekly for a few months until I felt well grounded in my practice. I was also practicing at home every day on my own during that time, and still continue to do so, which is something that I am very proud of. Now I just go once a week and my yoga teacher has been asking me for information on TMS. She does ask how our bodies feel, but I know where the pain is really coming from. ;)

veronica73 likes this.