1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Advice needed - new symptoms

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by levfin003, Apr 21, 2016.

1. levfin003

levfin003 Peer Supporter

Hi all - I used to a member of this forum until last year, when I was suffering from severe neck pain. I got amazing advice here. In fact, I'd say I got my life back through the advice of some people on this forum. Once my TMS was better, I decided to be less active here, and have been away for a while.

A few weeks ago, a stressful situation developed at work. One top of that, I am also facing another stress. My family is trying to move from Europe to the US, and I am interviewing for jobs in the US. The stressful situation at work, plus the pressure of an upcoming relocation (doubts about myself etc.) has left me feeling very anxious.

One evening, I noticed that my eyes were dry and hurting. Thinking that this was due to eye strain, I rested for a day. I avoided doing computer work. However, the pain, pressure and the dryness persisted. Soon I realized that this is yet another manifestation of TMS.

Now I find myself stuck in the old rut of TMS routine, i.e. every morning I wake up I notice the dryness and pain in my eyes. This causes me to be fearful of my future and my career. That in turn is feeding the TMS cycle of stress/symptoms/stress.

I wanted to get some advice on managing the new symptoms. I thought I had conquered TMS, but now it is presenting itself in a different place.

2. Mrs Dependable

Mrs Dependable Peer Supporter

So sorry that you're going through a stressful situation, moving country is particularly upsetting so not surprised you're feeling overwhelmed. Somebody on here told me that I'd once before overcome tms pain and so I can do it again. Keep re reading dr Sarnno's books and listen to tms recovery stories on YouTube. Just maybe get your symptoms checked out though by an optician? Good luck.

3. levfin003

levfin003 Peer Supporter

Thanks Mrs Dependable. The optician said my eyes are dryer than usual, but there is nothing serious. He gave me some drops and a heat massage that I have been using for a month, but the symptoms persist.

As I am thinking about it, I am realizing that maybe I have too many repressed feeling from childhood abuse. Maybe healing will take a long time. I just journalled on how tough my childhood was. I had a psychotic and abusive father. I had to fetch for myself from a very early stage. There was no room for any errors. As a result, I am always in a hyper vigilante state. The slightest stress results in symptoms. There is more work to be done, but it needs to be done without putting too much pressure on myself.

4. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

The eye symptoms you described are typical TMS. But it's good you were examined. You also recognize that your experience has set the stage for TMS. But you also healed before! No doubt the move is enraging to the child, but it's only a trigger for a deeper need.