1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 Advice needed for a newbie

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Kitcatt, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Kitcatt

Kitcatt Newcomer

I am a 56 year old wife, mother and teacher. I have been searching for answers to my health issues and feel that TMS is probably what I have been dealing with for the last 13 years. I am just finishing up diagnostic tests for my most recent severe upper back and shoulder pain. I also have low back and sciatic pain in my left leg. So far tests are showing that my body is normal with arthritis in my neck. I have felt all along that the arthritis could not cause the unrelenting pain that I am experiencing. Unfortunately, this is not my first bout with chronic pain as I was on narcotic pain killers for 11+ years for pain in my right flank. I fought to get off the drugs only to have a new pain in another part of my body in less than 6 months. I live in a rural area that does jot have any TMS physicians or care givers that I can find. I am reading Dr. Sarno's book, Healing Back Pain: The Mind Body Connection, and find myself being described over and over again. I did not think of myself as an anxious person until I learned about TMS. I am a perfectionist so I do have anxiety and anger issues. I am at a point in my life where I can see how I have beaten myself up and have not allowed myself to feel many of the angst in my life. I want to change that in order to have a life where I am no longer a victim of my pain.
    Chronic pain has robbed much of the joy in my life, but I do find hope in what I have read in the book as well as what I am reading here in the many articles and personal stories. I am just starting this journey to a mostly pain free life. If anyone has any advice for a newbie like me, I would love to hear it. It's so comforting to know that I am not alone and that there are others who have struggled with pain that could not be diagnosed.

2. Moppy

Moppy Peer Supporter

Hi kitcatt congratulations for giving this a go! You are embarking on a great journey of self discovery and healing and it will change your life! I'm only on day 13 of the SEP but already I believe it has begun to be life changing in terms of what I've learned about my behavior and who I really am. I've had severe RSI in both arms that has dominated my life the last 4 1/2 years and looking back, can see that I've been in TMS pain somewhere in my body most of the last 50 years (I'm 63). Already I am learning to focus on the psychological rather than physical causes when I have pain and it has definitely eased the severity at times. I am slso starting to do things, very slowly, that I've not been able to do for some years and it hasnt hurt me! So the fear of pain is starting to lessen. All the very best with your journey. ..there are many of us sharing it with you.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, ladies. Moppy's reply to you, Kitcatt, is excellent and just what I would give you. Believing 100 percent in TMS causing your pain will heal you.

The journaling has been the most helpful for me and others. Try to modify your perfectionism. Be half as perfect and you will be ten times more perfect than most people.

4. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Kitcatt,

Welcome to the Forum! You are doing the right things. Keep reading Sarno and do the SEP one day at a time. That is the best way to start on your healing journey. Be patient and kind to yourself. You are on the right path.

We are glad to have you join us. Feel free to ask questions anytime and keep us posted on how you're doing. We are all in this together.