1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Advice for resuming normal activity

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by patty9, Sep 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. patty9

patty9 New Member

Hi, I am relatively confident that I have TMS (though admittedly I have some lingering doubts/fears). In the books that I have read, they give advice to resume all normal activity, but the problem is, I have lasting pain after doing certain activities (like typing), and this creates a bit of anxiety throughout my day as I start to focus on the pain because it's very strong.

I first learned about TMS a little bit over a week ago, and I have noticed my pain has decreased a good amount in certain body parts since doing the recovery program. Because of this progress, I decided that I would do something that normally causes a lot of pain: holding a book while I read. Like I said, all of yesterday after holding the book for about an hour, my wrist really hurt, and a naturally this was discouraging.

Do you all recommend I work more gradually into incorporating normal activity into my life or that I just keep pushing? My hesitation with keep pushing is that as I said earlier, I still have some reservations about my diagnosis, so there is a lot of fear with pushing through the pain.

Any other advice would be welcome as well!

ClaireFraser likes this.
  2. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

If you have mind-body/TMS symptoms, holding a book will not cause you any physical harm. It would be very different if you were going to start attempting to run half marathons today (that even goes for people without mind-body/TMS symptoms who aren't trained), but holding a book is acceptable! Don't be discouraged. When someone is dealing with the mind-body connection, this is simply a sign that you're not relaxed and still in sympathetic (fight-or-flight) mode. This would make sense because you are describing anxious feelings. How are you addressing mental health and what makes you feel safe, happy, and relaxed in life? That's what I would focus on.

Having reservations about a mind-body/TMS diagnosis is normal and most of us felt this way about our own diagnoses initially, but it's important for us to truly believe we are healed today. I do recommend that all members work with a healthcare professional to confirm the mind-body/TMS diagnosis because we are not doctors and cannot observe or diagnose you; I don't want to push you to do anything if you haven't received a professional opinion.

What was happening in your life when the symptoms started? Have you spoken to a medical practitioner? If so, what did they say? What is holding you back from believing nothing is structurally wrong with you?

3. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

What you are experiencing is very common. Many people have their symptoms recede slowly, even return with vengeance after a while. What you need to do is to set your expectations. If it took you a week to get better, you should consider yourself very lucky. It took me 2 years to heal, and the more I worried that it was not happening fast enough, the slower my progress was. It took me almost 2 years to be able to resume all of my activities. It took me few months before I was able to hold a mobile phone in my hand for more than couple minutes without feeling neuropathic pain. If you read Mindbody Prescription, it very accurately describes the return of symptoms (Sarno calls them "extinction bursts"), anxiety over not recovering fast enough ("outcome independence") and many other possible roadblocks that you may face on your way. Be patient and believe in yourself. So many succeeded, and so will you!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    Idearealist and Dorado like this.
  4. ClaireFraser

ClaireFraser New Member

New to TMS today, I'm in a similar place as you Patty9. I've been off work for 2 weeks. Was working full time from home but could no longer sit or type due to upper left side pain. So much more pain at the end of my work day as well. I want to go back to the office like my workmates have. Even if only for an hour a day. We have sit/stand desks. I believe I can't structurally hurt myself, but I'm pretty anxious about the return to the workplace. It's a new office I haven't been to before. I was intensely anxious about covid, and feel embarrassed about that. I can't believe how much I'm appreciating this forum communication, thank you for your post and all the very best. Replying to you is making me feel so much better both emotionally and physically xx

TG957 likes this.
  5. TG957

Your fear is real and so is your pain. You cannot change your circumstances but you can change the way you react to them, not to become cavalier about them, but rather understand at every moment what your emotional and physical reactions are. Just that small change makes a difference - believe me, I have been there myself. I am not free of fears or anxieties, but I am pain free.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    plum, Dorado and ClaireFraser like this.
  6. Jonny91

Jonny91 Newcomer

I had sciatica down my left side, a strong pain at times. I've now overcome that pain and have the symptom imperative reaction Sarno discusses in his books (hip pain and OCD). I've alternated between the 3 a fair bit over the past couple of months. I'm at the beginning of my recovery journey, though.

My sciatica has gone now, mainly because i'd put myself in situations to bring the pain on purposely and i'd simply watch the pain occur like it was a cloud drifting by. I'd also sit (one of my conditioned responses of pain) with my leg straight out in front of me (worst position for pain) and watch TV. Purposely putting myself in the pain but not reacting to it at all. It took a few weeks practice but i now have zero sciatica.

ClaireFraser, Kellso and TG957 like this.
  7. TG957

Well done! That is a very interesting and courageous technique!

8. Jonny91

Jonny91 Newcomer

Thank you! It's more of a challenge to apply to OCD but I'm slowly making progress. Any tips?

9. TG957

Yes. I highly recommend Claire Weekes audios on anxiety. It fully applies to any emotional dysfunction. I have never been diagnosed with OCD, but I can relate as I have OCD tendencies and they run wildly in my family :=). There is also a technique I used to fight my fear of heights, it is called visualization. It is not much different from what you have done with sciatica. But it needs to be combined with anything that helps to calm down your excitable nervous system, such as meditation or any meditative activity. Does it make sense?

plum likes this.
  10. Jonny91

Jonny91 Newcomer

I shall give Claire Weekes work a go, thankyou.

My OCD varies in theme but is intrusive thoughts, no physical manifestations.

I have found plenty of things that work to calm down my nervous system:- massages, candles, serotonin music on youtube, journaling, meditating. They all seem to help me in the short term. Accepting this journey takes time has been an issue for me. I almost have a fear of getting a new theme of OCD too, if that makes sense?

11. TG957

Fear is your #1 enemy. You need to learn to recognize it and handle it without fear - no pun intended here. Most importantly, big change is an accumulation of small changes. Short terms merge into a long term if repeated consistently. If you were able to beat sciatica pain, you should be able to beat OCD. It is not any different, other than place of manifestation. Be ready that it may take you much longer. Second victory is often harder than the first one.

plum likes this.
  12. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

take note past self, take note. (History of being cavalier :arghh: )

This is so true. The world rests upon small changes. This is why it is imperative to know thyself and to tilt the rudder towards the good sure in the knowledge we get there by degrees.

TG957 likes this.