1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Advice before going to the Doctor.

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by mncjl123, Jun 28, 2016.

1. mncjl123

mncjl123 Peer Supporter

2. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

This is golden. I've mailed it to a couple of people and intend to show it to many more. This is exactly the kind of pre-emptive awareness we need before we avail ourselves to any kind of consultation or treatment. God alone knows I've made myself hoarse imploring people to take their time, research, reflect and then make informed choices.

Thank you so much for finding this excellent video. I loved the rolling waves in the background too.

mike2014 likes this.
  3. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Incredible, I suggest everyone watches this video, there's so much wisdom to be taken from it. Thank you so much for posting

plum likes this.
  4. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Loved it.
    His emphasis on the fact that a diagnosis gives you choices is priceless.

5. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Good stuff

6. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Wow! That is very true. American doctors are technicians prescribing diagnostic procedures, surgeries and painkillers - that's how they are trained. I remember how at age of 45 I made a mistake going to the MD for back pain. My complaint was that I could not do my yoga practice to the desired degree. She said literally this: "honey, at your age, you should stop jumping up and down. yoga is too much for your back". I said" thank you", got up and left. Since then, I hiked long miles with a heavy backpack on my shoulders in the mountains, climbed peaks, increased my yoga practice - and my back only got better! can't wait to figure out how to take better care of my emotional health so I could resume my full scale yoga practice!

plum and Boston Redsox like this.
  7. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I would let him be my doctor anytime.;)

Renee, Boston Redsox and plum like this.
  8. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Aye. Similar thoughts here...

9. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

10. TG957

My acupressure teacher once said that we tend to surrender the key to our health when we go to the doctors.

It is easy to surrender responsibility to somebody else. It is much harder to take full responsibility for your health. Knowing that diagnosis is just a schema in your doctor's head and it does not control your outcomes - is the key!

I thought I was taking good care of myself by exercising, eating healthy and staying away from the doctors. Dr. Sarno opened my eyes on the whole world of emotional health that I completely neglected, and changed my view on what it means to take good care of myself. It is a new responsibility, but it is incredibly liberating and empowering!

As a result, for the first time in 30 years I sleep through the night, regularly, without a daily waking up at 3 am from thoughts racing through my mind, and I wake up fresh. Even when I wake up in the middle of the night, I usually go back to sleep. No more 2-3 hours of misery trying to force myself back to sleep. Insomnia used to be so bad that I had narcoleptic episodes while driving and it simply controlled my entire life.

I no longer fear my insomnia. If I tamed my drug-resistant, therapy-resistant insomnia in 3 months, I can overcome all other TMS symptoms I have had over the years: migraines, back pain, shoulder pain, neuromas, CRPS, TMJ and other mysterious pains and ulcers throughout the body that came and went over the years. We are our own doctors!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
    Ellen, Gigi and plum like this.
  11. mncjl123

mncjl123 Peer Supporter

How did you work the insomnia via TMS. I need help.

12. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

A truly awesome response. Bless you for such an inspirational post my dear.

TG957 likes this.
  13. TG957

I figured long time ago that the cause of my insomnia was anxiety.

That's why herbs or ambien did not work, so I used to take anti-anxiety drugs when waking up at night. Over time, xanax stopped working, even with larger doze. I tried biofeedback, but it worked only for short period of time. Of course, now that I am TMS-educated, I know why. I don't know if it was a mere coincidence or there is a correlation there, but my last round of biofeedback was followed by a vicious attack of Complex Regional Pain Syndrome, which is what took me to Dr. Sarno.

Once I realized that my repressed emotions were causing anxiety as well as my physical symptoms, I started what I call "thinking Sarno thought" when I woke up: talking to my brain, calling on my emotions behind anxiety. I think night time is when subconscious really runs the show in your brain, so it is the best time to deal with emotions if they wake you up. To my complete astonishment, I often was able to go back to sleep after feeling anger, fear, disgust - whatever my subconscious had in stock that night. If that did not work, I played one of the guided meditations from Youtube, my favorite was this one from Jon Kabat-Zinn but there are other ones there, pick the one that works for you. Funny that his CD that I bought did nothing for me, while freebie worked. I also started meditating. Oh, and the TMS psychologist helped tremendously. So, with the combination of meditation, journaling, qi gong and yoga practice, I started sleeping better. Once I started sleeping better, my anxiety became less, which in turn led to better sleep. I also watch myself for the signs of anxiety during the day and try to meditate as soon as it rises. But the main thing was this: I knew that my insomnia was TMS and once I knew that, it was in my power to change it using Sarno's tools.

It is a slow process, but it worked for me so far. Try it - if it does not work for you, try to find your own approach. Good luck and best of sleep!

Ellen and plum like this.