1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Acute injury

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Ferndale37, Jan 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Ferndale37

Ferndale37 Peer Supporter

Iv been doing really well with TMS back pain for a while now. Had a recent flare up due to a relationship breakup, house move etc etc, so lots going on. I didn't let the pain bother me atall and continued with my life.

I played football at the weekend and had to stop half way through due to excruciating pain and immediate stiffness. Im usually very flexible and can stretch whatever pain i'm in, but I immediately couldn't bend forward atall. Im pretty sure TMS played a part, in that the usually effected muscles in my lower back were oxygen deprived already which made them easier to tear.

So I'm pretty sure it's a torn muscle. But I can't help worrying, not that it's something physically serious, but that because I'm going through a hard time at the moment, this could be my new level of TMS pain.

I suffer with anxiety and even though iv made good progress, in the 4 days post injury, I can touch my toes again and have managed some light swimming and walking. Im worrying that TMS has seen its opportunity and will take hold again, at this hard time.

Iv always dealt with things before by vigorously exercising through it. But I'm in no way ready for vigorous exercise yet, cos I still get intense pain when I do certain things. It actually stops my body from completing movements so I can't force myself through it. Feels totally different to the TMS pain which always got better with exercise.

Iv seen a good physio who also believes it's a muscle tear.

Any tips to help me avoid relapse into worry, pain cycle?

Thanks

2. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi ferndale37!

Here's my PT sense (also have experienced the same situation as you with my back and flare ups with anxiety too!): it sounds like you had no worse than a minor back injury (may have been contributed to by TMS/muscles that were already tight or oxygen deprived). It sounds like its already getting better over the last 4 days, which is what i'd expect for a minor back injury in the acute stage of healing. Keep on doing pain-free activities like swimming and walking as much as possible, don't worry about resuming vigorous exercise until you're ready. It might take up to a couple weeks for your body to heal if you have a muscle tear- a real but minor acute injury. Don't force anything.

It's understandable to feel worried but rest assured- your body is excellent at healing and the "real"/structural injury will heal up quickly! Keep telling yourself this. You didn't have a major event or accident that would be cause for concern, muscle strains happen all the time. Keep doing your TMS healing program (whether you're doing the SEP, or read one of the books like Unlearn Your Pain) to address the underlying psychological causes of pain. Tell yourself you have control over not letting the pain become chronic! Try to ignore the pain as best as possible when it is happening and keep reminding yourself how good your body is at healing, that is what has helped me greatly.

Ferndale37 likes this.
  3. Ferndale37

Ferndale37 Peer Supporter

Thanks so much for the response, that's just what I needed to hear. I know il be stronger for this blip and will be able to better deal with similar injurys in future. Thanks again

MindBodyPT likes this.