1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 5 activities for myself

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by prisd, Feb 18, 2016.

1. prisd

prisd Peer Supporter

I was trying to think of some activities I enjoy doing, and I've already been doing them! I go for walks, I did a half-day meditation class, I did a dance class with my husband last week, I've been playing guitar since summer. Tonight I escaped to a coffee shop to read a few chapters in some books I was longing to read. Mommies really need "Me-Time" and my husband's on board, so I'm really doing it.

Stella likes this.
  2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Wonderful report prisd! We all love to take care of ourselves, if we can bear to do it!

3. Stella

Stella Well known member

When I place myself first ....guilt starts swirling around in my head. This becomes one of my journal topics. I say to myself it is perfectly normal to feel guilty. Many feel guilty when placing themselves first. I write about just letting the guilt go. I Wiil be healthy and happier when it is done.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Stella. I was the sole caretaker for my aged mother and she wanted to be first in everyone's mind, God bless her. She just couldn't be pleased enough and it nearly drove me and my older brother and sister nuts. For you, give what you can to others but make you you give at least as much or more to yourself. Then y ou will have the energy to give more to your husband and kids. Taking time out to read a book is always great. I write books, so I know.
    A list of them is at CreateSpace eBooks under Walter Oleksy including one on TMS called God Does Not Want You to be in Pain, which may be listed under my co-author Eric Watson. Have a great weekend.

5. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Stella,
    This sounds like a very empathic way to hold the guilt, and not get identified with it. It is part of the human condition, a form of suffering, and it is natural. And you will do what you need to for yourself, despite the guilt.

6. prisd

prisd Peer Supporter

Walt, would love to read your book. Will add it to my list. Stella, I understand the whole guilt thing. I feel guilty right now being on the computer while my daughter's calling for me, or any time I'm at home trying to get something done while she's competing for my attention, but somehow when I'm out of the house on my own, I feel such freedom. Good idea to journal about the guilt. I'll have to try that.

7. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Good for you, for taking time for yourself, prisd!
    When my daughter was a toddler, I practiced centering prayer each day--a type of meditation. She quickly learned that that was Mom-time, and waited the 15 or 20 minutes to ask for something. Today she's a very empathetic 22 year old!

8. prisd

prisd Peer Supporter

Wow Gigi, that's pretty amazing. Right now, I wake up at the break of dawn to do my meditation, before anyone has woken up, and just skip it if I don't wake up early enough. But perhaps it would be a good lesson to my daughter to have her see me practice this from time to time. The only other time she's learned to be patient is when I'm cooking dinner, which is good because then we all get to eat :)

Gigi likes this.