1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Achilles tendinitis and rupture

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Mothy, May 7, 2016.

1. Mothy

Mothy New Member

Hi, new to this forum having been a regular browser for a couple of years!

I managed to successfully overcome TMS-related back pain in 2014 after following Georgie Oldfield's SIRPA programme (I live in the UK). However for the last year I have had 'Achilles tendinitis' (in inverted commas!) which I have been trying to treat in the same way, not with too much success yet though I know it's quite a classic symptom.

What's holding me back I think is a fear of rupturing it - i.e. I'm being stupid treating it as TMS because I really could do some serious damage if it's not TMS (I know, also classic!). I have cystic fibrosis and exercise, in particular running, is really crucial to keeping my lungs healthy so it would be really bad news for me if I did a serious injury like that. However it's also my main trigger for a symptom flare up.

Wondered if anyone else had ruptured theirs after trying to treat is as emotionally induced? I try hard not to read about AT online but yesterday saw something about rupture often following on from chronic heel pain, so it's brought my doubts to the surface again. Painful after playing tennis yesterday. I've read Enrique's inspiring story of recovery but just can't quite shake my fears.... Thanks!

2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

FEAR is not your TMS friend, it's the enemy, the major reason for not living a physically active life. To allay your fear of rupturing your achilles, I don't recall anyone ever mentioning one here, but maybe I just have a bad memory. Do a search for that symptom here and at the TMS Help site and see if you can find any mention of it. The good news is, if you ever do rupture it, the surgeons are doing great at repairing them nowadays, they used to be career enders. Personally, I've run thirteen marathons and never ruptured an AT, play/ed tournament tennis and never done one either, they are quite rare in my sports encounters. I did tear a calf muscle once, but it healed in due course, two weeks/a month.

The good thing about my having an arthritic hip is that I can't move fast enough to injure anything, I don't step on tennis balls, I just harmlessly bump into them. Try running in a pool with a flotation belt, if you're not getting enough exercise in.

How's your CF? I once played in a pro/am fundraiser tournament for it. CF is pretty serious stuff, have they gotten better a treating it, any TMS implications for it?

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  3. Mothy

Mothy New Member

Thanks Tennis Tom for your helpful reply. Yup, fear.... so destructive, so hard not listen to to it! That's great that you did some fundraising for CF, yes treatments are getting better and better. Luckily I keep pretty stable, I do sometimes wonder if a flare-up in my asthmatic symptoms could be TMS related. Worth bearing in mind more often than I currently do....

4. Tennis Tom

More girlfriend is cured of asthma since childhood, after I brainwashed her with TMS.

5. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

TT how long have you been dealing with your tms issues?

6. Tennis Tom

My hip's been about 15 years, I'd have to check my files for my first x-ray. Been told by two TMS docs that it's NOT TMS, it's arthritis, get a hip replacement sooner then late--guess it's later then sooner.

I take a broad view of TMS as Dr. Sarno states, its's "part of the human condition". Maybe it starts in the womb, like the Mozart effect. I've had body things before and after becoming TMS aware that were and weren't TMS. Sprained ankle, torn calf muscle, Ludwig's Angina and losing half my blood, from a duodenal ulcer, weren't TMS. A "pinched nerve @ C6/c7 , frozen shoulder", "clinical depression", and some other stuff were TMS. Now that I'm TMS aware, I don't get too much "stuff" anymore, because I can ward-off the symps at their initial onsets, and am not as afraid of them, thinking "psychological" as the Good Doctor advises.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  7. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

I been able to get rid of something back pains stomach issue,,, but I still I my constant burning feet and legs...its been a tough road