1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Accepting Your Symptoms

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Stock Trader, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Stock Trader

Stock Trader Peer Supporter

Notes from Claire Weekes' Hope and Help For Your Nerves book:

Accept your symptoms, as they are, as something that will be with you for a little while until you recover. Your nerves are sensitized and will take time to heal, just as a broken leg takes time. You will gradually forget to notice the feelings. By this acceptance, you break the fear-adrenalin-fear cycle that keeps your nerves in a sensitized state.

Give up the struggle. Stop holding tensely onto yourself trying to control your fear or do something about it, while subjecting yourself to constant self-analysis. Stop trying to navigate your way out of your symptoms by meeting each obstacle as if it were a challenge that must be met before recovery is possible. Bypass the struggle, go around the mountain, not over it. Loosen your attitude and relax your mind. Don’t strive to relax, wait to relax. In your tense effort to control yourself, you release more adrenalin and so further excite your organs to produce symptoms.

Now, I am patient. I am giving myself time to recover, and never be discouraged by failure("Outcome Independence"). I will rest, rest, rest my mind.

Nattycakes likes this.
  2. gailnyc

gailnyc Well known member

I love this, but you really should indicate it's by Claire Weekes. Not everyone has her book practically memorized (as I do!).

Edit: Thank you for your edit.

3. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Another great post, Stock Trader! It reminded me of something from the interview with Andrew Miller where he said that your symptoms will be present for as long as you need them to be. The pain cycle feeds upon anxiety and oversensitization. Not fighting our symptoms will help us calm our nerves.

4. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

That's why mindfulness meditation is so important and crucial to recovery from TMS (at least for me!) It creates a space where the pain cycle no longer feeds on itself and the body gets a chance to self-heal. If you wake up each morning to an obsessive-compulsive neurosis that builds throughout the day, you never get chance to get down to business with your TMS healing.

5. Nattycakes

Nattycakes Peer Supporter

Very eloquently put Stock Trader!

Stock Trader likes this.
  6. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Claire Weekes quotes)- This is awesome.
    Just sit -sit right through it.
    It'll pass you buy. If your going to shake and tremble-
    Then shake and tremble, it wont harm you.
    If you take off and run, it'll probably help you.

Who else can convince you to move forward as good as Claire Weekes

Another Gem Stock Trader

Now you've probably been told that your very fragile,
    don't listen to that non-sense- your strong im telling you
    strong- so don't whimper and be happy when the panic comes
    invite it to come- it'll pass you by.

Stock Trader likes this.