1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 AA for TMS

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by LionHeartedGirl27, Jul 10, 2013.

1. LionHeartedGirl27

LionHeartedGirl27 New Member

I have been in AA for nearly half my life. I currently have four years sober and work really hard at my AA program. The twelve steps have taught me that resentment, self pity, and especially self centered fear are the root of my problem. The way I drink is only a symptom. I was absolutely astonished to learn that TMS shares many of the same principles. I feel very open minded about the possibility of this method to improve my quality of life. I have a few pains that come and go, but I can easily see the physical manifestations of my stress/repressed feelings/self imposed criticism. I have had acne for most of my life. I met with an amazing spiritual advisor last summer and when I asked her about the cause of my acne, she said it is a protective response by my body. I didn’t understand what she meant at the time, but after doing a little digging on this site and some preliminary reading of the Divided Mind, this explanation makes perfect sense (my mind was blown). If subconsciously I feel threatened or fearful (of what I'm not sure) than a protective reaction certainly makes sense. The physical symptom distracts from the real issue, the feeling of fear.
    On a regular basis, I also experience extreme itching all over my body in different places as a stress response. I have many of the personality traits that seem to be characteristic of those with TMS.
    One of the key components of my AA program is that knowledge alone is not enough to keep my sober. Knowledge must be immediately followed by vigorous and meaningful action. I am curious if this is also true of TMS treatment? Is knowledge alone enough?
    Additionally, I wonder if there are applications of TMS treatment for compulsive (not obsessive) habits such as skin picking / nail biting? I have been doing this since I was a young child and nothing I have tried has ever permanently eradicated the problem. I pick till my fingers bleed and ache. If I'm not picking then I'm hair twirling. I simply cannot keep my hands still.
    I am hopeful and would certainly appreciate any feedback or suggestions others might have.

2. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Hello love,

First, congratulations on your sobriety. I admire your courage and dedication and believe these qualities will serve you well on your tms journey.

You asked if knowledge is enough. It can be, for some. Others need more support and a structured approach to facing down fears, penetrating the heart of the self and finding surety on the healing path. I'm one of the latter.

Lucky for me, I come from an earthy, spiritual background (my mum's pagan), and studied psychology so the knowledge part came easily. I needed help with the application though and the good people here and at tmshelp have been great allies.

I am confident that the tms approach will benefit all the concerns you mention. This is because it takes you to the roots of any problem and in doing so not only cures physical ills and oddities but calms your emotional self. It gives you lifelong tools and a ways of coping so that you no longer need the props (of which is booze is one).

Welcome to the forum angel.

3. LionHeartedGirl27

LionHeartedGirl27 New Member

Thank you so much for your kind words!