1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

A tricky question

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by leslie0766, Jul 6, 2015.

1. leslie0766

leslie0766 Peer Supporter

ok...I have not been here in some time. Still have my burning tongue- just over two years now. My question is this...I have the Herpes simplex Virus 1 (cold sore virus). I have never had a cold sore or fever blister in my life. Burning Mouth Syndrome is a "condition" with no known cause or cure. Most that suffer are menopausal women. I'm 49 so I'm not there yet. This burning tongue started during a prolonged - intensely stressful time. Newer research is showing that the virus lies dormant in the trigeminal nerve in the face and either stress or hormones activate it. Further, this inflamed nerve in the face is said to be what causes the burning sensation in the mouth. So, is this Mind/body, or a real condition? The suggested treatment is very high doses of antiviral that over a year has shown for some to remove the virus from ones DNA. The meds scare me, and if this pain is self created do I even try the meds? The pain is much worse when stressed but herpes is aggravated by stress. Rather than get fever blisters I get a burning tongue. My tests show I gave 50 times the normal level of this virus. Maybe it's both? Maybe if I got rid of my stress and dealt with significant past pain the pain in my body will relent and the virus would go dormant. Maybe take the meds and continue to work on my life issues? One if those tricky ones I think. Or maybe...I think my pain is more special or genuine? I'm trying very hard to be honest with myself here. Would appreciate any input.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Leslie. Your post is of special interest to me because I am learning more about a magnesium mineral deficiency most of us have. Doctors don't seem to know about it or how many things it affects in our bodies. I am not a doctor nor a nutritionist, but suggest that it is possible that besides your condition being caused by TMS, it also may be aggravated by a magnesium deficiency.

You might contact a nutritionist for some advice on this. For now, maybe do a google search for "Magnesium deficiency" and watch the videos about it on YouTube.

Most doctors just prescribe pills. They didn't learn much or anything about nutrition in medical school. Pharmaceutical companies prefer it that way so they sell more pills. A magnesium supplement is very inexpensive. No wonder they don't want us to know about it, as they don't want us to know about TMS.

3. Joey2276

Joey2276 Peer Supporter