1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

A slew of symptoms — I think it’s TMS!

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by melly1223, Jan 31, 2019.

Tags:
  1. melly1223

melly1223 Newcomer

Hi gang —

I wanted to get everyone’s read and thoughts on this. At the end of September, I had an unprotected sexual encounter, and about a month later had some itching I was almost positive was an STD. After multiple tests, I came back normal for everything — but the symptoms got worse.

The burning and stabbing continued in my vulva/overall genital area, and I was absolutely sure I’d contracted herpes — which has resulted in months of self blame, putting myself down, and fear of self-inflicted issues in future relationships. After three tests, the most recent at 16+ weeks after exposure, and no visible lesions/assurance from 4 doctors, I have finally put my STD fears to rest.

Here’s the thing though, my mom brought me to TMS — and it sounds like me: fear of “ruining my life”, I put that in quotes because, I’ve learned realistically, herpes isn’t that big of a deal ... but in my head, I was distraught. I’m usually conscientious and a perfectionist ... so I can see it.

My symptoms include the vaginal/vulva prickly sensations, I’ve had burning in my mouth, twitching in my legs, severe low back pain, random pains down my arms ... and have realized that I don’t believe anything could physically cause these conditions systemically.

Does this sound like TMS? And if so, what are your best approaches and practices.

I appreciate you guys!

2. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

Yup, I've experienced very similar things, including visible issues such as strange discharge no doctor could ever figure out. There was never any type of infection present - I had every single test under the sun done, some multiple times (this is listed as one of the many symptoms in my success story). For me, it stemmed from powerful emotions that I hadn't been managing very well since my childhood, fears regarding sexuality, and the pressure of not screwing up my entire life somehow. Everything you've described can be a symptom of mind-body symptoms/TMS in both men and women.

I've also had many of the other symptoms, such as twitching, random pains, and so many more. All included in my story, all from powerful emotions. None of it was permanent. You are not alone.

The best thing you can do is accept that you're OK, not fear or obsess over your symptoms, and get back to fully living life. You don't need to answer these for me, they're questions for yourself: what was going on in your life when the symptoms came on? What do you love to do in life? How do you manage your emotions?

I do think addressing perfectionism is a critical step for you. No worries - none of this is permanent!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  3. hopeful_guitarist

hopeful_guitarist Peer Supporter

This made me remember something from Steve Ozanich's book The Great Pain Deception -

It’s very common for people to get genitourinary infections when cheating on spouses, even when no infection is transmitted — the organ symbolic of the inner guilt. In his book, The Will To Live, Arnold Hutschnecker, MD, describes two men having unsafe sex with the same woman. The one with the “stronger guilt feelings” contracts a venereal infection — the more “aggressive” man does not. Marc Sopher, MD, tells me he has seen several cases like this — and I, too, have witnessed it.

Ozanich, Steven Ray. The Great Pain Deception: Faulty Medical Advice Is Making Us Worse (p. 186). Silver Cord Records, Inc. Kindle Edition. ​

LoveAfterAll and Dorado like this.
  4. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

I remember reading that, @hopeful_guitarist! Such a brilliant quote on how deep the mind-body connection can go. Thank you for sharing. :)

5. Snowman

Snowman Peer Supporter

I too have this. Mine was from a bad uti which after lots of antibiotics and told I then it was ic. I freaked out and starting to get panic anxiety attack then set in depression . Been having leg calf pain and feeling muscle twitching etc . Then started having arm pain Pins and needles eye twitch . Countless blood test . Had samples sent to Germany for lyme ..... Had the results back last week.
    Hope you are feeling better today.

6. melly1223

melly1223 Newcomer

Thanks for the reply, Snowman! Do you think this is due to TMS for you, too? Lyme come back negative? I have such similar symptoms as you, and am slowly but surely trying to convince my brain that I can get better. The pain hasn't gone away, but I've had a few days where I've noticed some of the sensations have lessened, and I'm trying the Curable app, too.

I believe that this is me, and these things fit me to a t, but I am early in my road to recovery, and not quite where I want to be or where I used to be. I'm interested to hear your approach!

7. Snowman

Snowman Peer Supporter

I also have good and bad days still. As for my test for lyme. I had it done twice here in the UK and came back negative twice. I've x2 MRI on head MRI on lumbar and MRI on pelvic. CT scan on my lower body. And also Deep CT scan on pelvic....
    I sent my blood to armin labs Germany because I know they do a more intense screen and mine came back with CD57 as very low . Which means I have a chronic immune suppression which can be caused buy borrelia burgorferi or other bacteria like chlamydia pneumonia and Mycoplasma pneumonia. I'm in no way saying you have any of this. I'm just saying what's been sent to me. Also says my MCV is high and my MCHC is very low. So my regular dr has had me take another blood test today to compare them with Germany tests .... Please don't take what I've had done or what I've said to heart as everyone is different . I've gone down every black hole you can imagine and still do some days when my legs are twitching and arms .

8. Bernardomelo

Bernardomelo Newcomer

How do u feel now ? I’m expierancing exactly the same ...

9. Bernardomelo

Bernardomelo Newcomer

H
    Hi! How do u feel now?