1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

A set-back

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by samantha, Apr 13, 2014.

1. samantha

samantha Peer Supporter

I've been in the program for one month now. I've seen great strides (walking without cane or brace, bending down, etc.). Today I spoke to a group about the positive results I've been having. As I exchanged hand shakes & hugs, I felt the familiar spasm along my lower back! Has anyone else encountered this? It's as if I'm afraid that my progress is a 'house of cards'. I'm also experiencing more sleep interruptions. I've been journaling and trying to decode this new challenge.

2. Mermaid

Mermaid Well known member

Hi Samantha,

Sorry to hear you've had a little setback. Please don't be discouraged by this, it's absolutely normal and to be expected on your healing journey. These little hiccups never last long, just relax and try not to read too much into it. I found that trying too hard to understand what was going on, caused stress of it's own, which is what you want to avoid. TMS is a subconscious habit that you're working on breaking, your brain's just trying to revert to it's old pattern is all.

The key phrase in your post is "I'm afraid that my progress is a 'house of cards'." It's the fear of your symptoms that perpetuates them, once your lose the fear of your symptoms they have lost their effectiveness as a distraction, so being redundant will inevitably fade away. Lose the fear - lose the pain, it's that simple.

The thing that helped me the most when I was at the stage you are was following the advice of Claire Weekes in her book "Self Help For Your Nerves", her CDs where a huge help too, I still listen to them to remind myself that TMS is ultimately harmless and powerless. I would highly recommend them.

Trying too hard is another pitfall we can get into, let healing come to you at it's own pace, you have made fantastic progress, just keep going and be kind and patient with yourself.

Bless you :joyful:

samantha likes this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi. Samantha. I echo Mermaid, a champion of TMS recovery. Don't think you're having a setback.
    Think of how much you've accomplished already.

Try not to weigh your symptoms or how long they will last or even what they are if they move around.
    That's just your unconscious mind telling you if hasn't given up on giving you TMS. But it will.

For now, just relax and be good to yourself for having some this far already.

samantha and Mermaid like this.