1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 10 A recollection...how pain does not make sense at times

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by yvettemariabetancourt, Apr 14, 2014.

1. yvettemariabetancourt

yvettemariabetancourt Peer Supporter

As I move through this program, many things are really coming back to me.

Back in Dec, I was having a routine mammogram and an MRI for some lower back pain that had both been scheduled on the same day for my convenience. The mammogram took longer than usual and I knew something was wrong. The Radiologist had seen a small mass. He was not overly concerned but wanted to schedule a biopsy next day to take some samples. I decided to cancel the MRI as I felt I did not want to deal with 2 potential health issues back to back. 2 days later, the biopsy showed all clear..no cancer. I never rescheduled the mammogram, as I felt so good to not have to deal with a cancer finding. I counted my blessings for weeks.

The interesting thing is, when he showed me the suspect mass on an xray, within minutes my lower back pain all but disappeared. I had a new worry and my internal stacking order of priorities shifted in only minutes. The mass concern was #1 and all else took a backseat. This is before I EVER heard of Dr. Sarno or his book or DVD, I was already questioning:

What is really going on here? I did not know about an iota about TMS, but I began to wonder if there was a mind-body-stress connection.

Now that I am reading and learning more, I can identify other instances. Kids very ill. Mom 100% fine. Best friend on a weekend trip becoming deathly ill and hospitalized. My back not saying a hoot for 14 days while I sat in ICU, slept on floor and almost watched her die. However, after all these instances were over, I had some sort of back episode shortly thereafter. I recovered quickly, but it was as if my body was saying "OK, now you can focus on you for a bit".

Sounds crazy, but I have known for a while something as off with my structural diagnosis versus symptoms.

Thanks to this site, I can work through this now, one step at a time.

2. DanielleMRD

DanielleMRD Peer Supporter

The exact same thing happens to me. When some bigger distraction comes along it seems to take over for the lesser distraction. That's the symptom imperative at work, I suppose! I'm looking forward to the end of the symptom imperative :happy:

3. yvettemariabetancourt

yvettemariabetancourt Peer Supporter

Never heard of symptom imperative, but makes a lot of sense. Crazy how our minds work. I guess crazy beautiful.

4. DanielleMRD

DanielleMRD Peer Supporter

Have you read Steven Ozanich's book, The Great Pain Deception? It's one of the best TMS books I've ever read. I highly recommend it. The TMS weekly call in discussion group did a session for each chapter. This is the call on the Chapter about the symptom imperative.
    Click here to download the mp3 audio

I've really enjoyed listening to these podcasts as I read the book.

This is a link to Steve's book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0615462219/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1397768362&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40

Blessings ❤️❤️