1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Audio A reading of Healing back Pain - From the other side

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by MedicineWithin, Apr 21, 2023.

1. MedicineWithin

MedicineWithin Peer Supporter

Hey everyone,

I thought it could be helpful for those struggling with chronic pain and symptoms to hear one of Sarno's seminal works, 'Healing Back Pain' read from someone who has been there and moved on (or healed.) It is definitely a different book and experience depending on where you are at in your journey when you read it. Perhaps some insights, stories and subtleties about the book and healing process would be helpful for some of you.

I'll post a couple chapters - If its helpful to you let me know and I'll keep going. If there's something that stands out that you would like me to pay more attention to or address, feel free to comment about it.

The links to the audio will be below.

I'm not really sure how this all works with moderators and that, but obviously if it's a no go then it will be taken down and you won't be reading this!

Thanks!
    Justin

https://soundcloud.com/the-tao-within/sarno-reading-intro?si=6bc389dec3714b4db6b352f99d04ed11&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing (Sarno Reading Intro)

https://soundcloud.com/the-tao-within/healing-back-pain-live-reading-introduction?si=e2764e6b2f11496f9266f9c60b77f76d&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing (Healing Back Pain - Live reading - Introduction)

tgirl likes this.
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hey there Justin,

This is a nice effort, so thank you for this. A couple of technical issues, but I really like the content - reading an entire chapter of Dr Sarno, and adding your common-sense practical thoughts is very appealing, and your voice is very soothing. I think this would be really great for beginners, and very calming for someone who is struggling and wants to be reminded of all the great things Dr. Sarno said.

I thought your commentary was excellent! You said some things I really agree with - for example, about how and why some people can achieve symptom recovery with some kind of physical intervention even though the real cause is emotional. This is a concept that is hard for folks to grasp so I appreciate how you addressed it, because Dr Sarno never really did, and our understanding of the many subtle permutations of TMS has come so far since he wrote his books.

Technical issue #1: I had a problem with the volume, which I feel is too low for any listening environment that isn't very quiet. I use a high-end tablet with good sound to listen to podcasts when I'm busy in the kitchen (which is a lot) and I found myself straining to hear the stream. A bluetooth speaker was no better (although often it helps, but I think that depends on what kind of sound is being generated - audio technicalities are complex!) I finally got out my bt earbuds, and still had to use full volume (which is usually WAY too loud for the buds).

Technical issue #2: I also had problems getting back into the stream each time I switched audio output devices - I was connecting, disconnecting, and re--pairing in my search for more volume, and each time, as I got the new output device connected, the stream basically just froze - I could visually switch from Pause to Play, but the track didn't advance. I finally resorted to reloading the web page (each time) and tracking forward on the stream to find where I left off. This might not occur in the app (I don't have this problem in Google Podcasts, for example).

Other folks may want to know the following about the web link (and folks, I know that many of you know these things, but there are plenty of people who don't, so feel free to skip this):

- If you already use the SoundCloud app, I expect that will give you the best experience.
    - If you don't have a SoundCloud account, do NOT click Sign In.
    - You do NOT need to "Install the App" to listen to Justin's content.

--->>>>> Don't click on anything until you scroll down the entire page to see where stuff is! The most prominent item I saw when loading the page was a big bright blue "DOWNLOAD" button which was actually an ad. Don't click it! You might see something quite different.

Once you scroll down the page to find the streams (currently there are two) the first one is Justin's short introduction, and it is BELOW the Chapter 1 stream. If you listen to the first one (the bottom one), it might auto-play the main one.

YMMV, of course! Generally speaking, I find audio stuff to be much more complicated and glitchy than video stuff when interacting with web sites and apps!

Thanks again, Justin! It will be interesting to see the response.

3. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

I have no problem with the volume. I'm finding it very clear.

tgirl likes this.
  4. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

I enjoyed listening to this; your calming voice made it rather meditative. I would certainly listen to more. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

5. MedicineWithin

Thanks for the tips and for the responses! I am currently in the middle of moving houses, but when there is some time and space to continue recording I will do so.

6. MedicineWithin

It looks like there will be a potential issue in the reading of a book online that I do not have the rights to. :rolleyes:

7. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Ah. And so it goes these days. That's too bad. Your readings-plus-commentary were terrific.