1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

A Question Regarding TMS

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by ShaneM, Mar 18, 2015.

1. ShaneM

ShaneM Peer Supporter

Hello everyone; I was pondering upon a quick question regarding the TMS diagnosis. You can read my story here: http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/in-desperate-need-of-help.7652/#post-42447 - According to the TMS approach, you must believe 100% that your condition is TMS and not anything else.

In my situation, this would mean I'd have to give up all notions that my condition is RSI. However; most people are able to give up the idea of structural damage because they have taken adequate time to rest and noticed no change. I am unable to wholly accept the TMS diagnosis because I have never taken proper time to rest, therefore I do not know what results it would have.

A month after developing the condition and continuing to use my hands, I took a 2-3 week break where I rested my hands essentially all day with ice and anti-inflammatory meds. I would click here and there but rarely. This 3 week break showed little to no signs of helping. Past that I continued to use my hands for a year. Then, again; I attempted a one month solid break with no hang usage at all. This break again showed a little bit of results and then stopped dead at a certain point. Then I continued using my hands for 2 more years. Again; I took a 2-3 week break with no results. From what I have read about RSI, it's common that resting for simply 2-3 weeks generally won't show any progress; so I've never truly rested long enough to see results in the case that my condition is structural (RSI); and therefore I'm having trouble discrediting RSI and fully accepting the TMS approach, even though that seems to be what I likely have. Any suggestions or help in this regard? Thanks!

If it helps at all, my condition (RSI) got worse within about a month to where both hands burned and ached at all times; and since then it has stayed at the exact same state. It has not gotten worse nor better at any point in time in the last 3 years. I'd imagine if it was RSI it would have gotten quite a bit worse, no?

2. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Shane, I am not trying to be disrespectful, I am just showing my ignorance of RSI. What is structural RSI? Dr. Sarno says repetitive motion is a trigger that often results in chronic pain syndromes. It is like bend at the knees or you risk that you will hurt your back, then sure enough someones back hurts.

3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi ShaneM,
    It is good to see very clearly why part of you is not convinced you have TMS, and work on it, work on that piece. You can see it is a block.

My advice is forget the "how many weeks do the experts say I need to test if it physical?" If possible, put all the possible weeks of rest ----both the shorter times you took, and the "recommended" number, in the same box. The box is marked "Bogus treatments for a mind-body syndrome called TMS, which none of the RSI experts recognize." Then you will know what to do with that doubt.

How do you know that the "recommended rest period" has any validity at all?? It can simply be a figure that is thrown around, and has somewhat of a placebo effect. Or maybe the mind takes this rest as valid, stops the RSI pain, and the patient gets stomach upsets nexT. Thousands, 10s of thousands of needless surgeries for pain...they are cutting people open for stuff that is all mind-body. How would they know how long something should rest? I hate to say it, but the experts are essentially clueless.

I did everything they recommended for my feet, x10 and nothing worked. Part of me needed to go deeper into the cause. So that is how I know that there is no validity to most of the stuff the experts recommend. Placebo!! I hope you drop the doubts, and I know this is not easy.

Andy B.

Lizzy likes this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Shane, I don't think it's rest that is necessary in healing, but total 100 percent belief that the pain is from TMS.
    Repressed emotions and/or a perfectionist or "goodist" personality.

RSI (Repetitive Sprain Injury) seems to be just another name that doctors give to pain when they really don't know what causes it.

If you haven't done the free Structural Education Program, free in that subforum here, I urge you to do it.
    You may have to spend more time on discovering the psychological cause(s) of your pain.

Lizzy likes this.