1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

A new symptom or just me overdoing it?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Calum, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Calum

Calum Well known member

Hi all, I've been trying to figure out if I have hurt myself through over training or if I've got yet another tms symptom rearing its ugly head. A week and a half ago it felt like I'd strained my tendons at the climbing wall, and I thought OK fair enough I have been climbing 3-4 times a week for 6 weeks plus the move I made when the strain occurred was a dynamic move which means you essentially launch yourself across the wall and grab a hold and attempt to hang on with one hand so maybe I've over done it a little. Nothing to worry about. Then 3 days later I tried to climb again and ended up with the same strained feeling after a few climbs. Now about a week later I'm trying to decide if I should go give it another shot or wait. Does anyone actually know how long it would take forearm tendons too heal after straining them?

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I don't know the answer to your tendons problem but be careful not to let fear of hurting yourself get in the way of trying the climbing wall exercise again, so it doesn't develop into a conditioned reflex to expect pain. It could be another message from your unconscious to reflect again on repressed emotions.

Also, when we think we may hurt ourselves in any exercise, it could be best to just go back to it slowly. Build your strength back up again.

3. Alex Bloom LCSW

Alex Bloom LCSW TMS Therapist

Hi Calum,

While I can understand your worry that this may be a gateway for further TMS symptoms, I would urge some caution in this case. Tendon injuries from Dyno moves take time to heal. I popped a tendon on my finger using a campus board and it was a slow heal. Give yourself a few more weeks. It is not often that I encourage people to question the physicality of symptoms. But in this case, I don't think a that an extra couple of weeks of taking it easy would be harmful. If you go that length of time and the pain keeps coming up, then we can start to question the involvement of TMS. Hope that's helpful.

4. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Muscle tears take 6 to 8 weeks to heal completely; tendons somewhat longer depending on a lot of things, like whether it was a partial tear or a catastrophic one. If it was catastrophic, you'd know it right away, so I'd say partial (of course I'm not a physician it goes without saying). Like Alex says above, personally I'd counsel caution and taking my time. I did partially tear my supraspinatus tendon once and it took a heck of long time to completely heal. Ever heard about using those little 3-pound weights and a theraband to strengthen the muscles around those shoulder tendons? Sure someone can show them to you. In the meanwhile, take it easy. Don't want to go tearing those tendons through all the way. Then they're kaput unless a surgeon's knife puts them back together. If it's any consolation, I know tons of people who've healed back up from tendon tears without visiting the surgeon. I know how frustrating it is once you have developed a bouldering routine to pull back, but it's a lot better to err on the side of caution. Tendons are very low on oxygen to begin with so I'd guess that TMS could interfere with the healing process too. You could also check yourself out with a full range of motion studies with your arms at various positions. If you can hold your arm out straight in front and above you, the tendon probably isn't completely torn through. Like the docs say, "an MRI doesn't lie", but a range of motion study can tell you a heck of a lot too. When in doubt, have a doc check it out.

PS- What you describe does not sound like a catastrophic tendon tear to me. Having done that, I can say with absolute certainty that you'd really notice it. Tendon tears hurt like crazy. Tons of kids around my climbing gym who have to quit campus boards for a month or more. Kids are crazy: they'll work on campusing 5 hours a day and wonder why they hurt. The problem as it has been described to me is that muscle strength improves much more rapidly than tendon strength. Time is the great healer and patience is a virtue.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
    nowtimecoach and Alex Bloom LCSW like this.
  5. Calum

Calum Well known member

Hi guys, that you all so much for your advice. I took it easy and went back to the climbing wall for the first time on Saturday. I climbed a grade below my maximum and made sure I didn't do any dyno moves and was completely fine, such a relief! I'll build back to my max ability slowly over the next month I think. Thank you all for your support :)

Alex Bloom LCSW and Ellen like this.