1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

A little wine to go with that TMS?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Goldy, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Goldy

Goldy Peer Supporter

When I was at my worst with this TMS, I stopped drinking.

As I got a grip on myself, I started to drink wine again. What I'm wondering is it good for me? I tend to have a glass of wine at night to calm myself...

...so if I'm supposed to feel an emotion to release the pain, is the wine not good because I'm not feeling my emotions as strongly?

I really enjoy having a glass of wine at night, but I don't want it to interfere with the healing process.

Thoughts?

2. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

The goal could be to get to a level of healing where there's no need for the glass of wine to take care of yourself emotionally and that you have the glass of wine purely for enjoyment. You could approach this gradually by leaning into the emotions at night before you have the wine, maybe stretching that out progressively. If you have a safe place/person to do that with, all the better. Whatever feels manageable to you.

Fear may try to convince you that you need the wine to calm down, but you don't because you can be empathetic, reassuring and compassionate with yourself to manage and resolve the feelings.

Goldy and JanAtheCPA like this.
  3. Goldy

Goldy Peer Supporter

I might try to stop drinking the wine during the week, so I can feel that anxiety and then enjoy the wine at the weekend. I think for a long time, even though I enjoyed the wine, I was using it as a release and escape.

Thank you.

birdsetfree likes this.