1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

A Glimmer of Hope... Followed by Fear

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Jeremy, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Jeremy

Jeremy New Member

So I've now made it a little over two weeks into my TMS recovery plan, which includes journaling, meditation, exercise, and positive thinking (when positive thinking is possible). I Finished three of Dr. Sarno's books and it took me a couple weeks to really buy in to the diagnosis but I'm finally here. My chronic back pain of three years is TMS. I have no doubt- or at least I didn't used to.

The first three days that I truly accepted the diagnosis and followed my recover plan, I felt great. In fact, I felt the best that I had in probably two years. I could literally feel the pain slowly leaving my back. I thought that I was going to be one of those great success stories that you hear about with the individual becoming completely pain free after just a couple of days. I was ecstatic. Then, on the fourth day I hit a wall. My pain wasn't worse but it just kind of plateaued at a steady 3 on the pain scale. I was fine with this because I figured I would probably be stuck at a 3 for a few days and then continue my progress. Unfortunately, I am yet to see a continuation in my progress.

Instead of continuing the recovery, I've actually started to descend back into the pain. It's like I'm going backwards in time right now. And with the pain comes the inevitable doubt in the diagnosis. Even though I want to believe with my whole heart and soul that this is TMS, I still have doubt. I'm not giving up though. From what I understand, It can be a rather long process for some individuals and maybe I'm just one of those unlucky people. Anyway, I guess I'm asking if anyone has experienced anything similar to what's going on with me right now- a lot of promise at the start of everything, but then right back to the usual. Thanks!

2. SME61

SME61 Peer Supporter

Hi Jeremy-
    I am right there with you at almost two weeks as well and I am experiencing something similar. My pain in my back (burning in the leg) is flairing-up a bit. I am trying to follow along on the SEP very carefully too. I am guessing that it will just take time. I am learning a lot about myself and I would guess that it's possible that my brain is putting me through this, so I can banish my self doubt and self esteem issues I have had for quite some time.

Good luck, I am pulling for you and myself!

Steve

3. scrat26

scrat26 New Member

Hi, I too am at the 2 week mark, and felt exactly what you were saying. I reckon it's going to be a longer journey for me too, even though I don't want it to be, but I see that as I've got more to learn than other people. I've had some good mornings (they are the worst part of the day) and some bad, and it does make you question yourself, and your belief, but kept up with the affirmations and self talk. There is a saying that it takes 21 days to create a new habit, so give it time, (don't pressure yourself to hard) and those positive thoughts will come through and it will be second nature. Everybody is different! All the best x