1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

A few thoughts wld be appreciated

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Mala, Apr 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Mala

Mala Well known member

Without going into too many details abt my past trials & tribulations with back & pelvic pain I'd like to get yr feedback on my current situation. I consider myself 90 percent cured & I'm currently doing zumba & yoga, walking etc.

My dog Jaspa is 17 now & for the last year has been gradually losing strength in her hind legs so much so that she needs a lot of help getting up. She's 55 pounds & the best way we have worked out is to oink her up using a towel under her.

I do this many times a day & night for various reasons- eating, drinking water, going out as she is unable to get from a sitting position to standing up.

I have help but it still requires a lot of lugging around & keeping her upright while she's eating for eg is hard work as she lets go of her weight & I have to support her.

This is causing some strain to my lower back which I'm v aware of. Yesterday night my back went into a spasm which was scary.

Taking care of an old dog is physically demanding & emotionally as well & I'm aware of all that.

My question is shld I be worried abt hurting my back?

thx a ton

Mala

2. Ewok

Ewok Peer Supporter

I'm not sure if this is helpful or not but what comes to mind is Dr. Sarno saying that if it was too heavy, you wouldnt be able to lift it. When we lift toddlers and even our older children of similar weights, we certainly feel a brief strain but it goes away shortly after. I think that if it lingers it would indicate that you're lifting with tension and then your brain is latching onto those events as triggers.

Mala likes this.
  3. Cap'n Spanky

Cap'n Spanky Well known member

Agree with Ewok. In my opinion, no - you should absolutely not worry about hurting your back. As Ewok noted, Dr. Sarno says - "if it's too heavy, you won't be able to pick it up". I've lived by those words and it has not let me down anytime during the past 10 years.

Mala likes this.
  4. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Agree with those who posted above. I would just add that I'm sure there are many difficult emotions and internal conflicts around caring for an aging loved one that could likely trigger TMS. I know this must be very hard, and I wish you the best in coping with the situation.

Mala likes this.