1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

A few questions

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by DontStopBelieving, Feb 28, 2018.

1. DontStopBelieving

DontStopBelieving Peer Supporter

Did anyone ever had the following doubts when going through a setback and what are your thought on in:

- do you think that when symptoms start again it is just a sign that things are going to get worse or is it a "softer" version of the attack and things get better?

- is the above then a sing that you are improving and reacting to a stressful situation better?

- when you get distracted and symptoms almost disappear but come back when you start thinking about it again: is that repressing the symptoms by ignoring them, coping with them, or accepting them but because thinking about them fuels the fear they come back?

Thanks in advance :)

2. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

Early on I would worry I was going to get worse, but that fear was always unfounded. There are 2 reasons for symptoms to start again:
    - the body is improving and the body and mind are fighting to keep its old pain ways. Sometimes the attack is softer, sometimes it isn't.
    - your body is reacting to a stressful situation or thought pattern. Your body is like an emotional barometer.

I don't know. Don't worry or analyze what the reason is. The point is to live life and not be focusing your mind on your pain, plus recognize and feel your emotions. When you feel the pain, the only thing worth analyzing is whether there is an emotion you are trying to repress.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  3. DontStopBelieving

DontStopBelieving Peer Supporter

Thanks EileenS, the above was very helpful. :)

EileenS likes this.