1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

A couple of drinks and your pain goes away...

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Ewok, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Ewok

Ewok Peer Supporter

I have to ask, sometimes when I get really low I have a couple of glasses of wine (which for me is a lot as I just don't seem to tolerate alcohol anymore), and it seems most of my pain dissolves, at least temporarily. Does this mean anything? Or does alcohol just numb all pain (even 'real', acute pain)?

2. Lily Rose

Lily Rose Beloved Grand Eagle

I used to have a single, very strong drink of vodka, Kahlua, and milk every night for over 20 years. It was the only way to induce sleep. It didn't stop the pain. Rather, it allowed the terrible tightness in my heart to soften and my anxiety melted. It did not last, of course, but any relief was appreciated.

It is said that a glass of red wine is actually healthful. I stopped all alcohol several years ago (after learning of TMS), and followed with the expulsion of pharmaceuticals. I fear that if I indulge in that wine, I will find it to tempting to fall back in that pattern. However, I have found an alternative (one must always fill the void created when a habit is shed) in drinking Catnip tea with honey and sea salt every night. Catnip is a sedative for humans and dogs.

In the consumption of wine, notice the changes in your body and your emotions. If you like those sensations, imagine being able to recreate that at other times. And most of all, do not judge yourself for seeking relief. We sometimes need that temporary respite just to be able to take a breath and regather ourselves.

You are strong and powerful and you can do anything you set your mind to.
    You are Loved <3

3. Ewok

Ewok Peer Supporter

Thank you, your words always bring me comfort xx

I think I like that the wine turns off the voice in my head that says I'll never get better and I'm not strong enough to do this. And I know that I am. :)

4. gutter3

gutter3 Peer Supporter

I use alcohol every once in awhile to calm my mind. Sometimes I just need a break from myself. I think about the pain and discomfort all the time, but when I drink I notice I don't focus on the pain. I don't sleep as well so I'm usually more stiff and painful the next day. I notice too that I'm more relaxed and more will to do more things physically. For some reason when I drink I don't have the fear that invades my thoughts all day everyday. It would be nice to be able to recreate that feeling and not have to drink. But I'm not there yet. You're not the only one that uses alcohol to dull the senses. Sometimes we need a break from ourselves.

5. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

She's a darling isn't she.

I thank the goddess for the day @Lily Rose came into my life. The universe became a better, kinder place.

Ellen, Lily Rose and Lunarlass66 like this.
  6. Lunarlass66

Lunarlass66 Well known member

I love her username too. It's beautiful so it suits her perfectly...I've always loved anything floral, my whole house is adorned in floral decorum, much to my boyfriend's consternation! I believe home environment has a great deal of influence on health and emotional tranquility... ( prob OCD talking, but I'm always straightening and decorating..) :)

plum likes this.
  7. Lily Rose

I didn't feel that alcohol actually 'dulled' my senses. It felt more like it dulled the anxiety and allowed my 'true' self more room. And we certainly do need a break from those repetitive busy-thoughts! I have moderate OCD, and looping thoughts is one of the negative aspects. On the other hand, there are many aspects of OCD that I appreciate greatly! And when I can train myself to loop on positive thoughts .... the OCD is very very handy ;)

You honor me, thank you :)

Everything takes Time. We did not arrive in this condition overnight. It is a culmination of our biological and emotional history. This journey of aligning the mind and the body ... it is a Life Journey. I do not use the word 'cure' as that seems, to me, to imply a permanence. We are seeking a fundamental shift in deep and powerful patterns. This is no small undertaking. Consider the Earth herself .... there is always motion and change. We are mirrors of that.

When we reach the stage where pain is diminished, we must remain ever-vigilant to keep our new patterns of thoughts and practices.

I believe one of the hardest parts of this journey is our self-judgment and the fear of 'not doing it right' (whatever 'it' may be). We seek validation and approval for everything we do. Part of that is the need to please others and to be accepted. Consider this: If you cannot accept yourself, then when you present yourself to others for validation, what exactly is being validated? And if what you presented is validated, but it is not ... you, it becomes harder to later reveal who you really are to both yourself and others.

It is your very uniqueness that makes you interesting and powerful. Trees and Snowflakes are uniquely beautiful and so exquisitely fascinating.

Every single person is part of the fabric of Life.
    Let your inner Light radiate .... and you will brighten the world <3

.... always with Love and Gratitude ^_^

zclesa, plum, Dahlia and 1 other person like this.
  8. Lily Rose

It is early morning, my dog on the couch beside me as I eat my breakfast of apples and rice and raisins and Ceylon cinnamon and almond milk ... and my eyes are now warm and moist and overflowing. Plum, you are like some mystical Fey creature proves my deep belief in Faeries and Angels and all things magical. <3 <3 <3

plum and Lunarlass66 like this.
  9. Lily Rose

All these beautiful posts inspired me to change my 'signature'. Blessings and Love to each of you!

Home is not just the manufactured structure that shelters us ... Home is this beautiful globe of Life we live upon while spinning gloriously through the star-speckled galaxy. And it does absolutely influence our health and wellbeing. We are mirrors of each other. The health of our environment reflects the health of our society.

The name Lily comes from the flower of Gabriel, the Archangel that assists with the transformation of souls. And the Rose is an eternal symbol of Love. It must be remembered that there is a difference between conditional (small) love and unconditional Love. To Love unconditionally is to recognize each other, and ALL life, as being part of the greater whole. We are all so very connected in webs so complicated and vast and beautiful.

I have chosen with great intention to BE Love. To BE what I already am.
    To BE what YOU already are, even if you do not see it yet.
    But you will ..... you will.
    And then your Light will blaze like the Sun.

Be your own change.
    Be ... Love <3

Lunarlass66 and plum like this.
  10. gutter3

gutter3 Peer Supporter

When I said dull the senses I meant the pain sensations. It helps to dull the pain sensations. I have chronic muscle spasms. So drinking helps dull the overactive nerve signals that cause the muscle spasms. It does help with anxiety too. But it helps to keep me from focusing on the pain. Which is one of my biggest hurdles!

Lily Rose and Lunarlass66 like this.