1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

A changing perspective

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by blackdog, Sep 23, 2014.

1. blackdog

blackdog Peer Supporter

Spirit is like a brilliant, enveloping cloud that comforts and nourishes us at all times, regardless of our level of pain. And it is alive. We just have to notice it.

I am starting to feel this way more and more, although I was not brought up religiously. I feel that it is helping me to have a different perspective from my fear and preoccupation with pain. When I see it I gain space.

Andrew

Shirley, blake, North Star and 6 others like this.
  2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Indeed, Andrew, I feel like the classic phrase, "suffering = pain + resistance" captures so much. If we can find space and peace for ourselves, that helps not just with managing the pain, but, more importantly, with soothing the emotional tensions that lead to TMS. As a wise woman once wrote, where attention goes, energy flows. ;)

3. Ryan

Ryan Well known member

That's awesome, I remember when I had this happen as well. It's a awesome feeling that you cannot describe. You are well on your way to recovery, good luck my friend.

Ryan

North Star, JanAtheCPA and Forest like this.
  4. blackdog

blackdog Peer Supporter

Thank you guys. I want to fall in love with life. I've never been there for long. This will happen the more that I can let the spirit bubble down into myself and feel like a viable vessel for it to flow through. Pardon the prose, I've been listening to Neil Young songs tonight, but this is how I feel. I try to remind myself to thank the pain at times for showing me that there must be something awesome on the other side. Patience is the key.

5. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm currently listening to the audio version of The Power of Now. Your initial post, blackdog, reminded me of Tolle when he woke up one day in an enlightened state free of his suicidal depression.

North Star likes this.
  6. blackdog

blackdog Peer Supporter

Enlightenment would be nice. I hope I can say that I am meandering that direction. I believe it is the end goal of all life. Unfortunately it is not a strike of lightening for most of us, but a work in progress. Can you imagine what it must be like to wake up like that? :joyful:

North Star and Ellen like this.
  7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Black Dog. I have a black dog, a Lab mix, Annie, and adore her.

I too wish I could wake up some morning with dazzling, brilliant enlightenment.
    I thank the Lord for each day I wake up, and maybe that is all the enlightenment I'll get,
    but it is enough. It does help me to live in the present.

I also thank the Lord for severe back pain that led me to learn about Dr. Sarno and TMS.
    I've healed from the pain and have the big extra bonus of having learned so much more
    about myself and others that led me to forgiving. Forgiving, to me, is a very big kind
    of enlightenment.

North Star likes this.
  8. blackdog

blackdog Peer Supporter

Yes, I agree Walt. I am working on trying to get to a place where I can be glad to be alive (sometimes I do feel that way). I feel that forgiving myself will be a huge part of this. Almost seems insurmountable right now, but I know that is my inner critic, my shame, telling me that I can not succeed and that things are dangerous and scary and always will be. When I can get past that (or accept it) is, I think, when I will heal.

P.S. I like your dog too :)

North Star likes this.