1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

98 percent pain free for the 3rd time!

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by alexandra, Apr 24, 2014.

1. alexandra

alexandra Peer Supporter

After ruling about many structural and physical possibilities I have been able to ease my fears by walking an hour per day, reading books, reading and writing on this forum and trying to fill my day with fun and joy. Ive recently taped the 12 reminders on my wall and read them as soon as I wake up, sometimes before bed. I've started the educational program and journaling as well. Throughout the day I remind myself what bothers me, what makes me angry, sad, guilty etc as well as remind myself if I'm feeling pressured to accomplish, look a certain way, clean to perfection or obsessing about my daughters nutrition or well being...all of which create great pressure resulting in possible symptoms. Most recently I got a nerve test result which I waiting a long time to get (yes I'm angry I waited so long lol) my test was normal so I have relaxed even more and promised myself I'm done with medical tests because there's just simply nothing wrong with me! :) . I am practicing living in the moment and mindfulness. The way I describe it is looking at the world in front of me with my eyes and not my back, buttt, legs etc. the colors look brighter, I can smell things stronger, hear birds singing etc. I absolutely recomend Steve Ozanichs book. I am not completely healed but if the pain decides to increase I have better tools each day to fight TMS and eventually win my battle...

2. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

BRAVO, Alexandra! Man…you are doing it! Way to go!

I am so very happy for you…thanks for sharing! Stories like this inspire people and just may give someone the strength to carry on when they feel like giving up. Thank you for sharing.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  3. alexandra

alexandra Peer Supporter

Thank you so much! Intresting that my knee is now feeling tight and funny as I continue with my walking...I know what it means when symptoms change, I hope I'm close to full recovery, thank you for the encouragement!

4. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, indeed you are! Recovery is on its way! And as @Walt Oleksy would say….don't forget to laugh! :)

5. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

I love your story alexandra. You have the tools to win. Ruling out the structural and losing the fear is vital and you mention that on your first sentence. I love the way you said you read books while reading and writing on the forum and trying to fill your day with fun and joy.
    You have all the steps right from the start -- Wow. This is a wonderful story, thanks for sharing. How have you been doing lately?
    Bless You

alexandra likes this.
  6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Things were coming in today in waves of reasons to scream or cry,
    but instead I laughed and felt a lot better.

7. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Walt, North Star and alexandra; I did a study this week on laughing and the rules were backed up with scientific test. It goes like this. When you have a bad emotion or worry or idea or whatever it might be that is just nagging you.
    Go ahead and focus your attention on the emotion you are having with this drudge feeling. Then while feeling this bad emotion, go ahead and think of something you can laugh about right at this time.
    It might be hard to start with but you are supposed to catch on right and then laugh on purpose. When you laugh while feeling down then you are breaking up the structure of the negative emotion and you can't keep feeling bad when you begin to laugh on purpose and often this will have a "swish effect" that will make the fear thought way less effective in its negative energy than it was. It talked in the article like this could almost be a reconsolidation moment when done in full effort.
    Bless you

debbi1955, alexandra and North Star like this.
  8. alexandra

alexandra Peer Supporter

Thank you Eric, I have continued with my daily hill walking and enjoying the sunshine here in Vancouver, Canada! My knee feels funny which would be reason to be scared, which I am a tiny bit but I continue to walk and refuse to do another medical test as I've done sooooooo many. I'm tired of feeling trapped and controlled by symptoms, never ending symptoms and new ones...I simply live to the fullest each day, enjoy as much as I can and thank God for everything I have including my health. Ignoring symptoms works for me but defenetly constant reading, journaling, talking about TMS healing with my family, and believing with all my heart that there's NOTHING structurally wrong with my body. Persistance and perseverance is key no matter how low you may feel sometimes...when I'm healed I hope to help others the way you have helped Eric. :)

9. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Awww, that was so cool alexandra. You have all the right tools and attitude for sure. I see nothing missing in your quest for a better life. You know what you have to do and you are doing it. It's great to know that your post sounds exactly like the advice I would give anyone to heal. Thanks for speaking from your heart. I love it -- AWESOME -- Bless you...

alexandra and North Star like this.
  10. nowtimecoach

nowtimecoach Well known member

Alexandra, I had the symptom imperative hit me a couple of times. Especially with the knees, it helped so much to know it was just a symptom imp. that I kept walking despite the pain and in a week, it was completely gone! Its weird and fascinating how it switches around. I've gotten so that I can tell from the quality of the pain that it is TMS acting up.

debbi1955, Gigi, alexandra and 2 others like this.
  11. alexandra

alexandra Peer Supporter

Thank you nowtimecoach! My symptoms keep changing. I have strong anxiety symptoms attacking my face, feeling tight, and numb, twitching chin and eye right now as the pain in my body has reduced beautifully but not gone. I read that symptoms can get a little crazy as you work more on the emotions which is what I'm experiencing I believe. Patience is important for me, also staying calm and in control to prevent fear from creeping in .

12. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Remember to stay in the flow. You are reconditioning now, so just be patient and keep working the protocol even in the set backs as you are already doing and you will be fine. Remember outcome independence -- Awesome.

North Star likes this.
  13. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Wow! That's great, NowTimeCoach! I struggle with trying to determine if an injury just needs more time to heal, or if TMS is prolonging the process. It's fabulous that you've learned to tell the difference.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  14. Eric "Herbie" Watson

This is so awesome nowtimecoach. I too know when it's another imperative acting up. This took me a while to learn but it's a valuable lesson for sure. A life lesson. I agree with Gigi, now that you know this you are basically winning every day. Awesome.
    Bless You

15. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Alexandra. Herbie and others are giving you great advice and encouragement.
    I'll just add my encouragement and just add that I hope you won't spend too much time
    thinking about pain and healing. Try to find things you enjoy doing that can take your mind
    off of both pain and healing. It looks like you're doing that. Keep it up.
    The days are going to keep getting better for you.

alexandra likes this.