1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

8 Steps to letting go

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by mike2014, Dec 16, 2014.

Tags:
  1. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hello All,

I came across the 8 steps to letting go and wanted to share these with you.

The Release Technique This is the healthiest way to handle a feeling that is consuming us. We've all had the experience of being in the midst of an emotional explosion and then suddenly began to laugh at ourselves, realizing how silly or inappropriate or useless our behaviour is. In other words we became conscious.

Step One: Locate. First think of some problem area in life - something that is of great urgency and concern. It may be a relationship with a loved one, a parent or child; it might be your job, health or fears; or someone else. Perhaps a situation you find yourself in or that is going on in the world. Or it might simply be the feeling that you are experiencing now.

Step Two: Identify your feeling. Determine your feeling about the problem area, or the current feeling. What word comes to mind? Is that exactly how you feel? If not define it more clearly.

Step Three: Focus. What do you really feel? Get in touch with it now. Open yourself up, become aware of the physical sensations attached to the feeling and focus on them.

Step Four: Feel your feeling. Deliberately create it. Let your feeling inhabit your entire body and mind. If the feeling is a grief feeling, you may break into tears; if it is anger, you may feel your blood begin to boil. That's good - now is the time to feel the feeling.

Step Five: Individuate. Become aware of the difference between your self - YOU - and what that self is FEELING. When the feeling is fully experienced and accepted, there will at some point be a clear sensation that your feeling is not you, so it would be possible to let go of the feeling.
    If you do not feel that it is possible to let the feeling go, feel it some more. Sooner or later you will reach a point where you can truthfully answer: "Yes, I could let this feeling go".

Step Six: Learn the lesson. The most vital aspect of this procedure is the learning of life lessons. Unless you recognize what you are to learn from your negative emotions, they will not release permanently, because they will have to regenerate again until the lesson is learned once and for all. After all, the very nature of strong emotions is a message to you -- letting you know that something needs to be learned.

Step Seven: Release. When will you let this feeling go? Sooner or later you will be able to answer: "I am willing to let this feeling go now". So let the feeling go, simply release it, if you haven't done so spontaneously. It feels good to let it go - all the built-up energy that has been held in the body is released. There is a sudden decrease in physical and nervous tension. You will feel more relaxed, calm, centred, empowered.

Step Eight: Check. Do you still have any of the feeling? If some of it is still there then go through the procedure again. Often releasing is like a well - you release some and then more arises. Some of our pent-up emotions are so deep that they require a number of releases.

When you are familiar with the technique, you can distil your practice down to just a few simple commands: "Could I let this go? Am I willing to? When?" Use this whenever you are conscious of an uncomfortable feeling, and even when you are just starting to create the feeling for the first time.

Once you've learned to release you'll find that simply becoming aware of a feeling is often enough to trigger a natural, spontaneous release, and you will carry the ability over into your everyday life, resulting in a stress-free mind and body.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
    North Star, Forest and heleng like this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

This is great, Mike. It reminds me of the EFT tapping video on YouTube with Louise Hay.
    It's called "Louise Hay Sits Down with the Tapping Solutions' Nick Ortner."

She taps her way to letting go of a childhood fear. I watch it every night before going to bed
    and tap away my own fears. Since watching it for a few nights, I've been sleeping faster and better
    and also making just one pit stop overnight, whereas I used to make two or three.

Maybe this works. I seems to for me. Letting go is akin to forgiving... ourself and others.
    That's so important in TMS healing. Maybe the key to it.

North Star likes this.
  3. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Mike thx for those steps, they make sense on how to face your emotions. Walt I am glad you brought up EFT I have been reading about, first I thought its some voodoo, but let me ask is it not just another distraction?

North Star likes this.
  4. heleng

heleng Peer Supporter

This is excellent, I really want to do this. I have begun to realise more and more recently that I want to let go of certain feelings that I carry around. I have them, try to deal with them but they hang around and cause me a lot of stress. My life would be a lot easier and lighter without this weight around me. I know it wont be easy as there are some core emotions that trip me up and have been tripping me up for years. My feelings have been a weight on my shoulders and have been stored in my body. I think it is time to release my mind and body of these unhelpful feelings and allow myself to be happy.

You have given me a lot to consider

Thank you

5. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Helen,

It's nice to hear from you. I'm glad it will give you something to think about. I have no doubt with your determination and will you will get there.

God bless you,

Mike

6. donavanf

donavanf Well known member

This is really helpful, thank you for the post, Mike.

7. Sheree

Sheree Well known member

Excellent post Mike. I am going to print this out now, and start to use it.