1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

75% healed in 2 months

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by af90, Jan 7, 2015.

1. af90

af90 Peer Supporter

Hi,

Just thought ill check in and report my progess from my widespread pain.

I have been running almost everyday and I even started doing aerobics which i find very good in breaking my bad ''programming'' because it puts me in weird akward positions. I find actions speaks louder than telling yourself there is nothing wrong with you.

Pain level is at 25% from when i started. I find that distraction from the pain was incredably helpful, by going out and enjoying life. For the first time yesterday, i can say maybe for 5 consecutive hours i didnt think of the pain once, when i was out with friends. Im also learning to live in the present with meditation so i dont dwell on past or future things which i find helpful.

Question:

i stopped doing any journalling since i went through what i need to go through already. And now im not doing any other tms related healing methods. Just trying to get my mindset back to pre-pain period. Im just gonna keep aerobics to keep the re-inforcement that nothing is wrong.

Does this sound ok at this stage?

mike2014 likes this.
  2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi af90,
    I think this is different for every individual, and a good question. I relate to your "actions speak louder than words." I did less journaling after a month or so, and increased my activity as a way to refute the physical and support the TMS cure. That said, I still did the 12 daily reminders every day for months, and inquired into my stress, and am still honing "think psychological" at all times. Dr. Sarno writes that some kind of regular education keeps the symptoms at bay, I believe.

I also stopped coming to this forum, learned to ignore pain, and generally took my focus off TMS and "just went physical" for many months. This was because I noticed that I was my obsessing about the "perfect cure," and this created tension, fear.

Great question, and remember it is all about tuning into your own needs and how you are responding. You can always change practices if you don't like the results!

Andy

Ellen likes this.
  3. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

What great progress you've made! I agree with Andy B, because we need to take different steps at different times in your recovery. Sometimes I read a lot of TMS literature. Other times I'm very active on this forum. Sometimes journaling helps. Success is defined by what works!!

I would encourage you to try the Structured Education Program, found on this wiki, if you haven't already.

Keep up the good work. Here's to victory!

4. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

Great news af90. Everyone's approach varies but I would say whatever works for you works for you. I started an exercise regime last summer after much procrastination. I find it a good way to 'test' some of my symptoms and eliminate fear and doubt over whether something's wrong...again. Often I might anticipate a movement and think I can't do it but I go for it anyway and am generally rewarded with success. I'm not up to anything too aerobic yet but I'm getting there.

Ellen likes this.
  5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm 84 and I get most of my exercise bending over to pick up things I drop. My back doesn't hurt when I bend down,
    so ain't I lucky! It did hurt, until I healed from TMS penicillin, after about two months.

This morning, even though it was zero cold and snow and ice on the ground, I drove to three malls and did my grocery
    and hardware store shopping. Walked very carefully so as not to fall. Felt fine and congratulated myself for the effort.

Keep at the aerobics, yb44. Just don't over-do it. Steve Ozanich says exercise helped him overcome back pain.
    He played golf "through" it.