1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

5 steps forward 2 steps back

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by dharn999, Feb 3, 2017.

1. dharn999

dharn999 Well known member

Anyone ever have this or notice this... yesterday I woke up, did my morning workout, showered and got on to my day... then dwelled on how I really wasn't hurting or noticing much pain... started thinking, "I'm doing pretty good, got this TMS on the run". Then today, wake up, same morning workout, and BAM in the middle of it a twinge of pain in the area that's been bothersome... ignore it, get on the day without giving it much thought but it's there...

But anyone ever notice that once you think you got it on the run, it's really got you because you are thinking about it again... I really think once you're pain is gone if you can ignore the potential of its return then you are set

SebastianM likes this.
  2. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Well known member

A thread has literally just been posted in the support forum about this exact same issue. It just seems so universal and common amongst TMS sufferers that it must in some way be part of the Syndrome. I stated in the other thread I've experienced this so many times. As an aside what I also find sort of relating to this is that when I'm relatively pain free I don't do the hard yards and just sort of go back to my default living/thinking patterns that are probably the reason for my TMS in the first place. Then when the pain inevitably flares back up I get all Zen Buddhist on its arse in desperation but of course the damage has already been done. I think we really recover depending on how we react to life in the periods when we are pain free rather than when on a flare.

Ellen and Eric "Herbie" Watson like this.
  3. dharn999

dharn999 Well known member

I appreciate the advice, you're onto something about switching to default living... I had just got back to that from my first defeat of TMS, then once it all came back again I was really struggling with everything because I didn't get how things could return because I knew what TMS was. It really hasn't been that long that I've come to grips with this and understood that I've been a walking time bomb of built up emotions I've ignored

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  4. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, dharn999,

I recall this happening into my recovery. The moment we begin to "check out whether we're in pain" we seem to fuel the TMS "benefits" of the pain. The TMS functioning seems to respond to "self checking," in an activating way. Good to know, and move on! Or, if you need to check anything, perhaps get in the habit of checking in with your own feelings and where you are in this moment. Maybe that is the kind of checking we really need!

Andy B

5. Jules

Jules Well known member

Yep. I wrote a bit ago about how I was doing 80% better, but was having nighttime pain, so the symptom imperative has reared its ugly head. It seems when I'm focusing on doing stuff during the day the pain subsides, but during the night the sub-conscious takes over and the pain returns.

I have been having several major breakthroughs in therapy, which seems to ratchet up the pain and is apparently normal, but this yo-yoing is getting old. :mad: