1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 20 5-minute cluster writing

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Irene, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Irene

Irene Peer Supporter

Greetings!

This was the first time I've tried the cluster journaling technique, but I'll get back to that in a moment.

Today's reading included a response by Dr John Stracks to the question about how to distinguish between TMS and actual injury. His answer was brief, but useful.

The other selection was a longer article by Dr Francis Sommer Anderson. My takeaway there was the idea of doing feeling inventories throughout the day. Checking in this way might be more instructive than waiting for a TMS event and then trying to figure out what's going on.

The journaling technique was much like a student's character or story web, only quick and all over the page. I chose a 5-minute piece of relaxing music, but couldn't do this method online where I usually journal. So, grabbed a piece of paper out of the wastebasket, and scribbled all over it for the length of the music video. And, what do you know? I came up with something! My current stress has to do with someone who deals with problems by ignoring them, while I rush to action. Even when I have time to rest, I don't, because I'm online searching for solutions. Then, I run to this other person, solution in hand, to have the whole thing waved off -- not now. Doing nothing might be the best course, but the denial of the problem or putting it off for another day, week, month, year.... well, there's my stresser. The journaling activity brought out not only the difference in our styles, but the fear behind her inaction. I'm already aware of the fear behind my actions. Wouldn't a little communication be great? But we're from different worlds and that's just not going to happen.

So, I'm thankful for this forum, and the journaling, and you!

mike2014 likes this.
  2. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Well done Irene, it sounds like you are making good progress.

It's always tough when our stressors come from external factors, it's just a shame everyone doesn't practice mindfulness - the world would be a better place. With that said, I think its key to understand how important the relationship is and if you can, love and accept that person or if you need to let go.

3. Irene

Irene Peer Supporter

Thanks Mike2014! With the help of God, I can accept this person's differences, and slow down my own reactions.

4. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Excellent, just be gentle with yourself and know that not everyone is a goodist and expecting too much can only trigger unclean thinking/emotions and fuel those symptoms.

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Irene. God does help us, if we ask Him. He helps us to accept the differences we have with other people.
    We may often not even think about where they're coming from... a different culture, economy, lifestyle, interests, beliefs.
    I think the way to go is to just like everyone, at least until we see they are trouble. I am too trusting, so I've been hurt
    by some people, mainly friends, so I am more careful. I tend to read good into everyone, then adjust that if I find they have taken me for a ride.

Relationships can be fragile. I try to maintain good ones by not pushing my agenda on others. I keep to myself my golf score, bank balance,
    preferences in politics, religion, movies, music, sports. What else is there? Not much. I guess what I do is let the other person talk about
    their preferences and just nod my reply, or not nod or talk at all.

I have a great relationship with my dog and all dogs. They sense my immediate, unconditional love, and return it.

Have a great new year.

6. Irene

Irene Peer Supporter

Thanks guys! I'm no longer surprised by this person's refusal to act on problems, but I'm still frustrated. And, being frustrated by the same thing for 18 years is a bit silly, if not simply stupid. Other journaling activities in this program have helped me to see what's going there. So, onward and upward!

Happy New Year!