1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 40 5 Day Headache! Finally realized it's TMS and it disappeared!

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Janine28, May 13, 2016.

1. Janine28

Janine28 Peer Supporter

Hi everyone,
    I've had the longest headache of my life- 5 days running. I became very aware of my psychology around this headache, thinking, if it doesn't go away in a few days, I'll have to see a doctor. I saw how, once again, I was medicalizing my pain. I tried to check in with my emotions, but all I could see was that I've been under a lot of stress, but nothing "unusual." Finally, this morning it occurred to me, this MUST be TMS. I realized that my headache was connected with insecurities and fear, and I told myself that all was well and I really believed it, and instantly my 5-day headache vanished. It's been 14 hours, and I'm doing really well. I'm so grateful for this Structured Education Program, the amazing resources, and this incredible community of support!
    Janine

P. S. Every time I begin to think about "doctors" in relation to my pain, my head begins to throb. When I told this story to my husband earlier, the mention of doctors (even in realizing that I don't need them) created a subtle throbbing sensation in my head. Even writing this right now, my head is beginning to ache. How odd??!!

oceana15 likes this.
  2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Wonderful report Janine28! Sorry about the throb still wanting to come back, but your breakthrough is tremendous on the 5 day headache.

This experience seems to confirm that when we "see behind the curtain" that the symptom is TMS, this correct view of things undermines the power of the distraction, and therefore the distraction (pain) subsides. Another way of saying it is "belief" or "knowledge."

BRAVO!

Janine28 likes this.
  3. Janine28

Janine28 Peer Supporter

Thanks so much Andy! Your feedback means a lot to me and has helped me so much over these past 6 weeks.
    Janine

4. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

I had a very similar situation, Janine. My headache also ran for 5 days straight before I banished it. Kudos to you!

Janine28 likes this.
  5. Ines

Ines Well known member

Well that's good to hear. I'm going through this program because of migraines (5 years and 2 months now) so this sounds promising to me. Thank you!

Janine28 likes this.
  6. Janine28

Janine28 Peer Supporter

Ines, I've been amazed by the power of moving my attention from the physical pain to whatever is going on emotionally. There is a lot of amazing support and guidance on this site. Hope it's helpful to you.
    Janine

Ines likes this.