1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

325 mile bike ride no TMS problems

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by phillyjoe, Sep 3, 2013.

1. phillyjoe

phillyjoe Peer Supporter

The hills are alive in Michigan. 325 grueling miles. Heat, wind, rain. Hills, hills, and more hills. Other then 1 advil a night, after sleeping in a tent next to 400 other tents I came away walking. My knee although stiff after riding felt fine. I am going for a short run tomorrow about 1 1/2 miles. I am still trying to get my brain to acknowledge knee pain as tms. Thank you for your recent comments.

yb44 likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

All that biking with just a little stiff knee. You're doing fantastic.

I went to Michigan State so I know all about the hills of Michigan.
    A beautiful state. We could use some hills in Illinois.

3. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

You rock m'dear.
    Well done and thanks for the inspiration.

4. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

The hills are alive in Michigan? I thought they were alive with the sound of music?

Your knee pain is TMS, riding will only help it.

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Steve knows what he's talking about.
    He's the master of toughening out TMS pain by exercising.
    Have you read his book, The Great Pain Deception?
    It's a real inspiration.

6. phillyjoe

phillyjoe Peer Supporter

7. phillyjoe

phillyjoe Peer Supporter

Here's the thing. My knee feels differant then back and anxiety TMS issues. I have tried some light running. Pain exist during and after. I tried some short sprints that are required for my officiating responsibilities. I can't push off leg. I delayed surgery for 2 weeks. I spoke with Dr. S. he did not say absolutley no surgery. I am trying to be very open about this but actually feeling more confused. It's one of those things where I know my body and I can recognize the TMS vs. physical.

8. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Agh. Internet ate my response.
    Shall go again...

It seems to me, as an outsider who has read your posts here and there, that your issue rests squarely on your officiating duties. Could it be that here there are dragons? Only you possess those answers. If I did 325 miles of anything I'd be in hospital so whatever ails you, it's worth holding fire on surgery. You cannot undo what the knife does. Best advice here, given Dr. Schu and SteveO have weighed in, is do the dirty emotional work. Keep us posted.

9. phillyjoe

phillyjoe Peer Supporter

Plum, you have a unique style of communicating your thoughts that I find very calming. Here's the deal. I am a Clinical Social Worker. I am very concrete in my approach to therapy and in life. I am kind of a black/white type of thinker. TMS has moved around me through the years. I'm the kind of person that "twinges" would set off anxiety and TMS attacks. BUT, this knee pain is not a twinge. 3 weeks ago when I had my back relapse I forced my self to get on the bike that day just to ride around the block. In one week I was back on my weekly schedule about 100 miles/week. My knee has remained sore, very sensitive to the touch. I don't disregard all the sensible advise about staying away from surgery. I completely agree with the "cleaning" approach and the after effect dangers. Believe me I have enough emotional dirty laundry to clean up. I'm not trying to be a difficult logger. Options:
    1) don't get surgery, keep doing as Plum suggest the dirty emotional work and pray/hope pain decreases or goes away by Dec.1 and start of basketball season. 2) get surgery, get relief and healing. 3) Get surgery, no pain relief, maybe mess my knee up more.

10. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

That's a lovely compliment. Thank you.
    There's nowt wrong with black and white thinking. Actually it can be a welcome relief from flapping around. There is a fourth option: get surgery AND do all the emotional work. Remember that ultimately the point of 'thinking psychologically' is to put out the emotional fires raging in the pysche, and in so doing, allowing the circuitry of the sympathetic nervous system to calm. David Hanscom (the salvage spinal surgeon) bases his entire approach on that.

http://www.drdavidhanscom.com/

I love John Sarno. Really I do, but the scope for confusion seems almost endless, not the least because 'think psychological' loops back into physiology at some point. I've come to affectionately view it as a Zen Koan. SteveO does well explaining this esoteric aspect but not he, not I, nor anyone here can make that difficult choice for you.

Ellen likes this.
  11. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

PhillyJoe, maybe you're trying to heal your knee pain too fast from riding the bike.
    Maybe ride half those 100 miles a week for a while and your knee will like you more.

What do you think about while riding the bike? I used to ride my bike not fast but to
    visit different parks and see what natural beauty and tranquility was there.
    I see so many speed bikers hunched over and just looking at the road ahead as they pedal.
    I got more enjoyment from looking around.

Have you ever wondered why you ride a bike? Is it to just clock miles?

Tell me to go soak my head. I won't mind.

I had to give up riding my bike because speed bikers practically knocked me off mine
    when I rode on park bike paths. On city streets, motorists never honked or signaled
    which way they were driving. One came within inches of running me down.

Everybody is in such a hurry these days. I don't understand why.
    I do know that many bike riders and joggers or runners feel good from those activities,
    and that's fine. I just prefer a slower pace.

tarala and plum like this.
  12. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Walt, I adore you.

13. tarala

tarala Well known member

Walt you are a scream. They do say that one of the biggest regrets people near death have is not stopping to smell the roses. Your advice is good for me at least!

14. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Plum, I'm glad you do. I'm not sure that PhillyJoe will.

I felt some guilt after posting that. I'm not sure it was helpful. Maybe just preaching to slow down
    and smell the roses.

I am one of the most opinionated people on the planet, and open my mouth and mind that way a lot.
    Maybe it helps me, but it may turn others off.

I just don't get this need so many people have to be plugged into electronic gadgets.
    I like being unplugged. People run... to where and for what? People walk their dog or baby carriage
    while on the cell phone or iPhone or text-messaging. Unplug and enjoy the outing with a dog or baby.

I'm American but maybe at heart I'm British. I think you Brits lead a slower life. I try to.
    It goes so fast anyway.

I've been rewatching DOWNTON ABBEY. Just watched my DVDs of season one and saw and heard
    some great stuff I had missed the first time. I'll watch seasons two and three next.

Once a week our local public tv station shows LARK RISE TO CANDLEFORD, one episode a week,
    and I like that very much too. I think I'd have liked living in a small rural community town like
    Candleford.

When in college I worked six weeks on a weekly newspaper in a small town in Michigan and loved it.
    Not much happened and that was fine with me.

But it was fun hearing that "Ma Phelps," the elderly woman who rented me a room in her house
    had a husband who died of a heart attack while in bed with a rented woman.

Peyton Place in Michigan!

15. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Tarala, one of my favorite authors, Sinclair Lewis, said
    that he was sorry he did not discover classical music until the last few years of his life.

I beat him on that years ago. I used to love Sunday afternoons at my grandparents' house.
    While my parents and uncles and aunts played poker in the dining room,
    Grandpa George and I sat by the big Philco radio in the parlor and listened to
    an hour of Phil Spitalmny and His All-Girl Orchestra playing classical music.
    He introduced me to it and it became a lifelong passion of mine.

Years later, while working as a highly-stressed police reporter for the Chicago Tribune,
    one night (of many) at Orchestra Hall I heard Fritz Reiner conducting the
    Chicago Symphony in Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony. I had heard it several
    times before from other orchestras and conductors, but that evening while sitting
    in an upper balcony seat, it was so beautiful, I levitated. In spirit, I soared over
    the audience.

The next day I mentioned it to the Tribune's music critic, Claudia Cassidy,
    who was one of the toughest in the country, and she was praising it to a janitor
    who also had attended the concert. I read her review that day and she said,
    "Last night in Orchestra Hall, Fritz Reiner and the Chicago Symphony gave
    the definitive reading of the Beethoven Pastoral."

I still feel very lucky about that.

16. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

My darling, your words are a gift. There is absolutely no need to feel an ounce of guilt because aside from being wise and generous, you offer a perspective, particularly one from gentler times. It seems that life everywhere is too fast although there are certainly quiet pockets of peace. I'm sure PhillyJoe will appreciate your input. Everyone here benefits from reminders to relax and go easy.

(love the Ma Phelps story!)

17. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

My darling Annie in the picture is telling me with her eyes that it's time to give us both some dinner.

18. tarala

tarala Well known member

I bet Annie knows how to take it slow!

19. tarala

tarala Well known member

Walt, I was in Prague in May. You would love it there. Classical concerts spilling out everywhere, and a more old world pace of life. Sorry Phillyjoe, we've wandered off topic. But I am a speed demon, and advice to slow down is what I need to hear, even if it might not be for you.

20. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Annie is 11 now but still active as a puppy. She does love her naps, though.

I just ordered THE FLAMBARDS from Netflix. 3 dvds. Looks good.

I saw a lot of Europe but not Prague. I bet it's a beautiful city. I love them that retain their old look.

Enjoy speed. Whatever it takes.