1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

3 days of re-teaching my mind/body or a huge mistake?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Happiness comes first, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Hi all,

I've had a variety of symptoms for a year or two now, and I have managed to beat most of them by knock-out by now applying a step-by-step increase of activity approach. The last couple of weeks one of my only concerns have been tinnitus, and with Dereks fantastic response in the "ask a therapist" section I am confident it too will fade in time. It is funny how I can have full blown tinnitus one day and none the next - but an aching foot instead.

Last Wednesday I started a new job (my first job after five years of studies), and I will primarily work in an office environment as a project manager. This means many new stressors but I am confident I will be able to to handle most of them with TMS-tools. Plus, a job is essential to be able to shift awareness on a daily basis.

However, tomorrow morning I have a new situation which I am not certain how I should tackle - and I could use some cheer-leading to make the right decision. As part of the introduction program I am to work in the production line for three days, partly to get hands-on experience and partly to "get get to know and get acceptance from the "workers"" of the company. I've already worked around two hours hauling stuff this friday.

Half way through my mini-shift this friday my old back injury (and pain) said hello. My foot pain increased aswell to an almost unbearable level. This weekend hasnt been kind. My back is stiff and aching. My foot is alot worse. Tomorrow, Tuesday and Wednesday will be three full working days in the production line. Even though I can see and do believe that long term pain is TMS, this makes me uncertain since I am not used to work that hard full-time (havn't done it for several years and not since my injuries). It is much easier to see the physical connection to a "bad back". But I do not wanna go there.

I am rubber stamped with TMS from a doc, which should imply that I can do this without worry. And I hate(d) the production line.

So now basicly, two scenarios can play out. (i) I can see this as an opportunity to reprogram my head and just face my fears with an outcome independence approach. (ii) I rip my old injuries open and need to go through many weeks of healing again to back where I were.

The struggle continues..

Cheers for insights.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
    nowtimecoach likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Happiness comes first.
    You need to follow your doctor's advice, which is the same as Dr. Sarno, Steve Ozanich, and others
    in that you should just bite the bullet and do the production line work, even if it is painful.
    It may seem like the three days will be a long pull, but stay the course and put in the work.
    You will not hurt yourself, even if there is pain.

You have come a long way toward healing and the best is yet to come.

Returning to work and a new job is bound to create TMS stress. It will pass and soon you
    will be enjoying a more normal, relaxed life. It's also great for the spirit to know you are
    working again and earning money.

We're all rooting for you.

3. I just wanna to let you know that these three days, with bending, lifting and long hours, didn't cause me nearly as much trouble as I thought they would. The first 2-3 hours were indeed painful, but day two and day three? Almost pain-free - at least highly functional and a careless attitude.

Thanks Walt. I held your words tightly as support initially. Worked fine.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

That's great, Happiness. The "care less" attitude is wonderful.

As tennis star Arthur Ashe said, "Never give up, no matter what the score is!"

5. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

A deeper part of you certainly hated the assembly line, whose wouldn't? We only prefer redundancy with alleviating anxiety (OCD), and in pleasure.

It's most important for you to try to understand "why" you get so quickly and deeply angered at certain things. The reason is easy, separation rage early on, leading to the self imposed demands to be perfect in everything you do (those darn parents). But try to understand this more deeply. See a new you.

You demand much from yourself, and a deeper part of self hates it. True happiness is lost in the conflict of ego, purpose, and passion.

But the good news is you've found the right path, and appear to now be integrating it nicely.

Also, you have to stop thinking that there may be a structural problem there or you'll keep looping symptoms. Anxiety is the thing that makes you want to doubt your body. You need "the possibility" that there's something wrong to help you alleviate anxiety. It's your brain's favor to you.

Don't over think healing. Keep gathering the TMS info until you get it, then stop reading and gathering, and stop looking for "other" means and methods of healing. The people I see healing the slowest or not at all are the ones looking for some type of magical method. Stick to the basics of TMS. The ones that do are healing much more steadily.

Steve

SSG likes this.
  6. nowtimecoach

nowtimecoach Well known member

Awesome and congrats on your new job, Happiness comes first!! Love that you have chosen this as your name!! You did a great job minimizing the fear and anxiety about the potential 3 day TMS trigger. Got through it with a little more evidence that you are well on your way to full healing!! Right On!!