1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

2 steps forward, one step back. need encouragement

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by wendyd, Jan 19, 2015.

1. wendyd

wendyd Peer Supporter

I was doing so well. I spent most of my vacation week pain-free, feeling good about making such great progress. When I returned, so did my pain. I understand it. I know whats going on in my brain and what might be going on in my subconscious. I've been trying to ignore the pain. I've been journaling. I know this too shall pass, but right now, it is really really difficult to ignore the pain. Neon lights are flashing in my butt cheeks. I think I could really use some words of encouragement at this time. I know many of you have gone thru this and come out the other end. Give me a cheer, please.

2. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Your opening statement 2 steps forward 1 step says it all, it sounds like you are putting to much pressure on your self.

3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Wendyd,

Unfortunately TMS healing doesn't occur in a straight line. I think most of us feel it is a few steps forward and one back, and so on. The important thing is that you are feeling progress and you know what you have is TMS. You are on the right path. Keep plugging away and you will eventually make it to your destination of a pain free future.

A good thing to do when feeling discouraged is to read Success Stories--either on the site or on Amazon under Sarno's books. They will give you hope. Hope and patience and persistence will take you to your goal.

wendyd, Dahlia and Anne Walker like this.
  4. Dahlia

Dahlia Well known member

Hi Wendyd,
    There's you very own, personal evidence that this is TMS. The pain can go away again because IT DID GO AWAY. If the problem were structural, would you have felt so different during your pain-free week? So there you go. Evidence to wave in front of your brain.

You've got it on the run! Hang in there!

Ellen and wendyd like this.
  5. lexylucy

lexylucy Well known member

Oh yes.. That happened to me too. On my vacation I was feeling so light and free. I was not thinking about my relationship. It was so nice to have a break from it and from working so many hours. I am even thinking of ending my romance because of how much happier I was! I would say don't IGNORE the pain but listen to it. DO some deep breathing. Does the pain have a voice? Is it talking to you? Mine says "Hey ya know what? I think ur boyfriend is an asshole!" haha. She might have a point there. --Miss TMS ---I am feeling really sad. He said some mean things to me.I think it's over we'll see.

Hey I did the online chat on saturday and that really helped the pain lift when I got home from my vacation.

wendyd likes this.
  6. wendyd

wendyd Peer Supporter

Thank you Ellen and Dahlia. It is hard not to put pressure on yourself when you are in pain and know that the reason is psychological. It's all tied up in TMS. I know it will get better. I'm focusing on the evidence and the silliness of it. Trying to laugh at myself. No fear. (trying, anyway!).

Dahlia likes this.
  7. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Wendy,

I think this is a very good insight. You describe it well, and you see the pressure itself, to perform and perfect your way to a cure, probably explains the symptoms. This feels like a very tight knot when we're in it, but you are using awareness to disolve this suffering. At it's heart, you are describing Inner Critic/Super Ego activity which pressures the inner child. The response is rage or helplessness, which "isn't OK." ===symptoms.

When I get into such a mind-f**k pressure cooker, I try to remember the "head-banging" will stop on its own accord. And appreciate the extreme Super Ego activity for what it is, by not believing the content or attacks on who I am or what I am doing. I hope you feel better soon.