1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

1st Day Exercies Hoping an Praying for No Pain Soon

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Desi19, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Desi19

Desi19 Newcomer

I have been struggling with TMS since I was 19 years old – 20 years. Most of that time I have been PAIN FREE. It first started when I was in college.

1995 Fall – developed carpel tunnel syndrome. Dealt with this on and off for 1 year. I did not know it was TMS.

1996 Spring – Lower back pain. Dealt with this for 4 months. I did not know it was TMS.

Lots of occasions through college I dealt with TMS. I did not know what I was dealing with. Probably too many to remember!

2002 – Upper back pain. I received an MRI that showed I didn’t have anything wrong. It was then in a desperate search that I found “Mind Over Back Pain” by John Sarno. Halfway through the book my pain vanished. I remember it vividly. It was in April right after the time change. I went outside and helped my dad in the garden. The truth can set you free. But……..the TMS kept coming back…… I would always do the same thing. Use comforting modalities like massage, exercise, ice, heat, chiropractic and read my pain away……..

2016: February: upper back and neck pain – read the pain away but this time it required some journaling.

NOW: I was diagnosed with peronial tendonitis in my right foot, then capsulitus of the 5th metatarsal, and additionally Morton’s Neuroma. I can’t walk of the foot without an orthopedic boot. I’ve relistened to The Divided Mind and Healing Back Pain but the pain is not going away. I’m discouraged that I have to deal with “escalated therapy” but I hope that by going through this 30 day program I will gain more control over my TMS. It is also discouraging that I tried to locate a psychiatrist, psychoanalyst or health care provider that treats TMS but it seems like no one does outside of LA or NYC! Dang!

I think it is tougher to accept this diagnosis of TMS because it found a new area of my body to prey on!!!!! I’ve never had TMS in my foot before. I’ve had aches and pains – but never this. But part of me thinks it must be TMS because just writing this makes me tense, gives me a headache, and causes my shoulders to tighten as well as experience anxiety symptoms.

What would a life without TMS mean to you?

I don’t think anyone can really escape TMS pain. It’s part of the human condition. Repressed negative emotions in people like me causes pain because my unconscious thinks that physical pain is better than mental anguish. But – if I can recognize the TMS – and treat it at the root – psychologically – I will be cured physically and also be more healthy mentally.

Tennis Tom, Yinlin and JanAtheCPA like this.
  2. Desi19

Desi19 Newcomer

Day 2: If I could do anything I wanted to right now with no pain - I would load the bikes in the truck and take everybody on the greenway tomorrow. We would enjoy the fall weather and stop for a picnic on the way back.......

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  3. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

It would be helpful to those trying to help you to copy this info to your profile page into the "My Story" area.

Cheers,
    tt

4. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

5. Desi19

Desi19 Newcomer

6. Desi19

Desi19 Newcomer

Done

7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Desi. Pain caused by our emotions (TMS) often moves around. It's because the subconscious has not yet been told the emotions that are causing the pain. You have just begun the SEProgram, but I am confident you are going to heal. I had severe back pain, then discovered Dr. Sarno and TMS, journaled in the program and discovered emotions I had been repressing since boyhood. That healed me.

Tom gave you some very good advice and encouragement. I would like to add the importance of breathing to relieve anxiety and pain.

Most therapists say inhale through the nose, hold the breath a few seconds, then exhale through the mouth.

Last night I looked at some Youtube videos on breathing and saw some that say that
    breathing in or out through the mouth depletes oxygen that we need to go to the brain and other
    parts of the body. They say that mouth breathing actually increases stress, anxiety, and
    Inhale and exhale through the NOSE only. I've begun doing that and have felt more calm than exhaling through the mouth. You might give it a try.

I can't seem to drag the videos into my email, so I suggest you go to Youtube and look for the video by
    Robert Lipman called "The Relationship Between Breathing and Anxiety."