1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

11yrs at this and still the same

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Boston Redsox, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

I love reading these stories very helpful

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  2. Kozas

Kozas Well known member

I don't think success stories is good place to ask such question. Maybe... just maybe your pain is not tms then? I have pain 24/7 since 2011, and since then I was depressed, full of regret, guilt, negative thoughts, no hope, just pure black hole. I published my 'success' story here, that finally after journaling, meditating etc I changed my mental health for good. I live in the present now, with no regret, no guilt and almost no stress. I don't journal too often anymore because I don't have anything to journal about. I still meditate, I still believe I have tms but my pain is exactly the same it was. The only thing I have to work on is outcome independence, 2020 is gonna be year I know I'm gonna archieve it. But if pain gonna be the same... it means that it wasn't tms. I'm still happy that I discovered dr sarno work(and also john cabat-zinn and his work on mindfullness) because while I still have arrow of physical pain in my knee, my mental pain is gone...
    I wrote all that because I don't know what's with your mental pain? Is it still there? I don't think you can just wait for your mental pain to be gone when your physical pain is gone, is the other way around.

Velvet_Hidden likes this.
  3. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Don't know how it ended up here ?

4. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

Unrelenting pain does not necessarily mean it's structural and not TMS/mind-body. Steve Ozanich serves as a perfect example of someone who endured continuous pain for decades on end.

Having an awareness of TMS/the mind-body connection isn't enough for some people (I've been there!). It's always beneficial to continue to work on your mental and emotional health, and identify what will help you achieve your best life going forward. In many cases, that's where the symptoms begin or end. There's always a reason to have hope!

5. healingfromchronicpain

healingfromchronicpain Well known member

I think that pain can linger for many years and still be TMS. As @Dorado said, awareness alone may not eliminate pain comply (been there, too ... well still kinda there)

As I finish up my memoir about my journey of discovering the mindbody connection, and as I re-read it for the millionth time (been working on it for 12 years), I’m fascinated that at times I was still acting as if I didn’t fully embrace the idea that it’s all from my head (not “all in my head”)—even though at the time I thought I was. I truly believe my subconscious thoughts/feelings/actions will eventually catch up to my conscious knowledge that I don’t need pain anymore.

I’ve had some level of pain for 14 years. But with mindbody approaches I’ve brought it down from about 8 to 2-4-ish (on average). And I never give up hope that that last bit can go away too.

6. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

I think if you’ve had the medical tests and nothing can be found, and you feel your symptoms are still from a physical issue, that thought process seems very scary to me. Where is the hope? If I believe I’d be stuck with my symptoms indefinitely I’d be depressed, especially when doctors can’t help because nothing can be found. Believe me my mind goes there at times.

7. Kozas

Kozas Well known member

Well it's not like modern medicine is really that advanced when it comes to things that are not acute. I've seen plenty of people who were diagnosed after 5,10,20 years.
    Also, there is thin line between hope and fantasy. Maybe some are stuck with symptoms till they die. It is kinda depressing, but maybe the only choices are fighting with reality or embracing life fully, with both good and bad sides of it. But no matter what I agree with what Dorado said "It's always beneficial to continue to work on your mental and emotional health, and identify what will help you achieve your best life going forward.". Even if you can't change physical we can always change mental and emotional health

Velvet_Hidden likes this.
  8. Velvet_Hidden

Velvet_Hidden Peer Supporter

Kudos on transcending your past depression/ past negative feelings by journaling and meditating past it!!!

In agreement with others here I too have removed painful tms symptoms only to have them return every so often in lesser duller forms of pain in new regions... Addressing the things going on at the time helped me cease what ever new pain was brought on.

As of late I've been attempting deeper inner work with meditation, accepting my shadow self and fully forgiving myself and others to really go deeper to the emotional roots that spring pain physically in me every so often... so far so good.

JanAtheCPA likes this.