Recent content by whirlingdervish

  1. W

    relapse patience

    Hi all, I am having a relapse. I was pain free for a year and now I have leg pain which hurts walking. A dull ache walking flat or uphill, and excruciating pain walking downhill. I am currently on holiday with my boyfriend. We were aiming to do a big mountaineering adventure, our first big...
  2. W

    Adjusting to unrestricted life

    Great responses. When I was in pain I never used to think 'this is what I'll do when I'm no longer in pain'. I just made me feel depressed, given I didn't know there would even be a time that I'd be better. I was also in denial a bit at how unenjoyable my life was - I wanted to pretend the life...
  3. W

    Official Thread Section 2.3 Working Toward Outcome Independence

    Thanks David. The back pain seems to be gone now and the Raynaud's is still lingering, but I'm just not letting the pain or fear of pain be an issue, and focusing on the original aim of doing the activity. I did a ballet class today and I decided I would do it all as well as possible no matter...
  4. W

    Adjusting to unrestricted life

    Camera, I know what you mean about finding hobbies you enjoy not being enough - I did that a lot and took up loads of new activities, which were all vaguely enjoyable but I didn't feel passionate about any of them. For me, what helped spur new passions was thinking back on all the things I had...
  5. W

    Adjusting to unrestricted life

    Hi Camera, I'm in the lucky position that before I was in pain I had a number of things I was passionate about doing, and while I've been in pain I've developed another few things I'm passionate about that I could do despite being in pain (it took a long time to find them!) Plus doing all the...
  6. W

    Adjusting to unrestricted life

    Hi all, I'm interested in your thoughts on transitioning from living in pain, fear and with many restrictions, to suddenly living a 'normal' life where you don't think about pain. I'm reminded of the film The Shawshank Redemption, when at the end a man is released from jail after being there...
  7. W

    Official Thread Section 2.3 Working Toward Outcome Independence

    Hi all, really useful to see how people have overcome this. I wanted to share my experiences with cycling, trying not to monitor the pain usually associated with it, back pain and Raynauds (cold numb fingertips), and instead focus on enjoying the cycling, and saving money from public transport...
  8. W

    Daniel L. What to do with journals

    Hi, just wanted to join in this fascinating discussion. I have written a journal since I was 11. Some periods I'd write every day, others not for months at a time. During really difficult/painful periods I've barely written anything. Mostly they're filled with dilemmas, about love, about big...
  9. W

    Back Pain, Knee Pain, & Wrist Pain Client Success

    Yes I totally agree! One of the turning points for me, was when I read this advice from this website: "7. Just remember, your body is a workhorse. Just remember, especially if you're still in your 20s, your body is a strong, healthy beast. Nothing should take a year or more to heal, especially...
  10. W

    Struggling to believe in ANY cure

    Thanks Tom. I've seen there are a few people in the UK. I thought I'd wait 3-4 weeks before visiting someone, to see if symptoms subside through the work I'm doing on my own. Though would value people's thoughts on whether there's any advantage in seeing someone straight away.
Back
Top