1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Bookmark

Thread:
New Program Day 5: Changing Your Brain
This is a great thread. I knew I had/have anxiety for a few years now. It’s been about 3 years with the RSI pain. Extreme anxiety had set in about that same time. I’m a textbook case of TMS, but I had such a hard time convincing myself 100%. Not anymore. There were days or weeks when I simply had to push through any rsi pain for work. I’d get it done, and the pain would only reach a 4 of 10 and just stop increasing. Hmm.

I’d go on vacation for a week and have no pain. 2 hours into my first day back and it’s at a 5.

Well the source of pressure related to me hating my job but feeling forced by myself to stay in it. I stayed for the money, and I worried I couldn’t replace that income elsewhere. I also worried my skills would become outdated staying in that position. I was laid off from that jobs month ago, and the weeks leading up to that point were very stressful. I was stressed in every possible way.

Well, the acute stress was gone a few days after losing my job. Doesn’t that seem backwards? I needed to use the computer quite a bit for job hunting so the fear or that pain still gripped me. I worried about being able to perform in a new position. So I went back to studying TMS as the problem. This time it really sunk in. I wasn’t willing to let go of that pressure relating to the job before. Money was too high on the priority list.

Since accepting the situation and moving my mental health to the top of my priorities the pain is gone in my hands. I now KNOW that my hands are physically fine. I know what led to it.

I have experienced the symptom imperative, and I think that is from the fear described here. Anxiety is still somewhat of an issue. I believe training myself to avoid an anxious state will be the final cure all to this condition. I feel like healing yourself mentally is what TMS is really all about. The journaling and self discovery are immensely helpful.

I’ve decided to let go of the things that cause me immense pressure and accept the consequences as they are the lesser of 2 evils. The other one being poor mental health and TMS symptoms. Somehow I think I’ll have my cake and eat it too. The anxiety wasn’t or isn’t productive.