1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Bookmark

Thread:
Official Thread Section 2.3 Working Toward Outcome Independence
I recently read the book "The Power of Habit" by Charles Duhigg. It's a great book, and Howard Schubiner and I have been talking about how to apply some of the concepts to TMS treatment.
Outcome independence is usually effective in significantly reducing or eliminating symptoms, but it's really hard to achieve. I think some of the tenets from this book could most effectively be applied to this section.

Most TMS sufferers automatically go to a place of fear when their symptoms come on, and it's this fear that serves to perpetuate the symptoms. It's a difficult pattern to break.

By creating a new routine, it's possible to replace this seemingly instinctive response with another: telling yourself you're safe, reminding yourself that the purpose of the pain is to try and scare you and you're on to it, or some similarly themed response can become the new automatic response to the onset of symptoms. We respond with fear out of habit, but habits can be changed.

I definitely recommend this book if you're interested in trying to more effectively replace the fear response to TMS pain. It will take some discipline and plenty of repetition, but it will eventually happen if you keep at it.