1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Bookmark

Thread:
Alex B. Am I repressing fear?
Answer
Hi Eskimo, thanks for the great question. This is an important topic with a lot of varying perspectives. I can offer up my interpretation, which is based on my own practice and experience.

I think that we have to start by differentiating between fear and anxiety. Fear is the unconscious detection of a threat that triggers an activation of the somatic and autonomic nervous systems. This is a fancy way of describing symptoms such as sweaty palms or pounding heart, etc. When these symptoms are triggered by our feelings we call them anxiety. Anxiety tells us that the feelings inside of us are being interpreted as a threat. So in summary, fear is brought about from external threats or danger (like a tiger in the jungle – this a very ancient mechanism) and anxiety is a product of internal emotion and feeling.

Okay, so now that we understand that, what’s the deal with TMS? When you have symptoms is that fear or anxiety? Surely the symptoms pose an existential threat, I mean if your back hurts it must mean there is something wrong with it and you could be permanently injured, etc. This is exactly the purpose of TMS: to conflate internal emotional distress with real threats, thereby distracting you from the actual source of anxiety. The physical symptoms are the mind’s way of keeping you distracted from the actual issue: while it may be hard to believe, it is easier (unconsciously) for you to face the fear of pain than to face and experience the underlying feelings and the accompanying anxiety.

So the goal here is not to “repress” your fear by ignoring but rather understand the underlying process that is occurring when are experiencing the fear of symptoms. This is why it is so very important to accept the TMS diagnosis and reframe the meaning of the pain; once you realize that your symptoms are not existential threats but a distraction, you can begin to confront the underlying issues and the anxiety they provoke.

As I said above, this is a fairly complex issue with a variety of opinions. I encourage people to offer up what they think about this explanation, brief as is it, so that a larger discussion on the nature of fear and anxiety can continue. I hope this is somewhat useful.

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.