1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Bookmark

Thread:
Official Thread Section 3.4 Mindfulness
This is the official thread for Section 3.4 of the TMS Recovery Program donated by Alan Gordon of the Pain Psychology Center (PPC). This section is entitled "Mindfulness." Neither Alan nor the PPC necessarily endorses this thread or any of the viewpoints presented in it.

Please keep these official threads on topic and put your best thoughts down, as these threads will be read by many people. All posts in this thread should all relate to section 3.4 of the TMS Recovery Program:
http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/TMS_Recovery_Program#Mindfulness

In section 3.4, Alan writes the following:
Mindfulness

One of the best ways to learn to recognize your thought patterns is by utilizing the technique of mindfulness. It’s a great way to discover the messages you subtly give yourself, and for you perfectionists out there, could eventually lead to spiritual enlightenment. But let’s take it one step at a time.

Click below for a mindfulness exercise

Click here to download the mp3 audio

If you want to learn more about mindfulness, I recommend the book, “Fully Present” by Susan Smalley and Diana Winston.​

I found the mindfulness exercise in this section to be one of the best examples of how to breathe deeply. In the books and videos and online sites I’ve gone to for relaxation techniques, authorities all consider deep diaphragmatic breathing to be one of the most important things we can do. I’ve consistently found deep breathing helps me to relax and drive away fear, worry, anxiety.

The book Alan mentions, “Fully Present,” is a great resource. Authors Susan Smalley, a behavior geneticist, and Diana Winston, a former Buddhist nun, enable readers to remedy their mindbody lifestyle. As founder/director and director, respectively, of UCLA's Mindful Awareness Research Center, the authors draw on their experience of bringing mindfulness to everyone and present the scientific side of mindfulness with an approach that results in a well-rounded formula for everyone.

Research studies, personal accounts, and practical applications show that mindfulness is a form of meditation. With activities as simple as breathing, listening, and walking, the practice can be easily incorporated into any lifestyle. Smalley and Winston show us how to live a completely present life, even if what that means has yet to be fully understood.