1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Bookmark

Thread:
Derek S. Going through hell
Answer
Hi Tom,

I'm so sorry to hear how difficult things have been for you of late. It sounds like you have really been drowning in fear lately and I want you to know that you can absolutely change this thought process which, in turn, will help you to break the cycle of pain.

The description of your thought process and the accompanying level of preoccupation sounds like classic TMS-driven fear addiction. This type of fearful thinking and disempowerment is precisely the thing that keeps you in pain.

I want you to make a decision to not indulge in the fear.

I want you to empower yourself and work toward believing in the FACT that you can change both the fear AND the symptoms.

Every time you feel a sensation in your body that is either painful or causes you discomfort, utilize this as an opportunity to create a new neural pathway.

Every time you have a catastrophic thought, work on empowering yourself and telling your unconscious mind that you are not going to live the rest of your life in fear.

Your brain is stuck using the same well-worn superhighway of pain and fear. Every time you stand up to the catastrophic thought or refuse to react negatively to a symptom, you are metaphorically taking out a machete and hacking a new road through the jungle. If you continue to do this, over and over with persistence, eventually the old superhighway will become overgrown and you will be cruising down a freshly paved (and pain free) road. Preferably with the top down.

Patience, repetition, and empowerment: These are the ingredients for TMS success.

Work toward overcoming the need to externalize your sense of safety and wellness. No doctor can truly create safety for you. There are no magic words that will make everything click, regardless of how prestigious or esteemed the person speaking might be.

A true and lasting sense of safety can only come from you, so start giving yourself some credit. If you continue to chase all of these rabbits down their rabbit holes, you will be running forever. Watch the fearful thoughts fly by and make the decision to not chase them because you know that it is destructive. When the symptoms are there, call them out as the deceivers that they are.

"I know what you are."

"I know why you are here."

"I don't have to play in your reindeer games because I believe in my capacity to get well."

TMS is the neighborhood bully that kicks your ass and steals your chain every day when you're walking home from school. Like most bullies, its power comes from fear and intimidation; nothing more. If you get fed up and fight back one day and you break the bully's nose, he can still talk, but his words will be empty. Sure, he will still follow you home for a while, but he will be walking on the opposite side of the street hurling his pathetic insults at you. If you continue to show a genuine indifference, he will eventually leave you alone because you are no longer giving him the reaction that he wants. You will start exuding a swagger and confidence that you never thought possible and the bully will no longer be an issue. His power is a mirage and he cannot hurt you if you are empowered and believe in yourself.

Don't be seduced by the problem-solving mentality. It will keep you paralyzed and your TMS brain will never fail to produce symptoms that compel you to schedule an MRI, obsess about what medications may or may not help, schedule a doctor's appointment, etc.

The answer lies within you. Trust in your strength, resilience, and capacity to change.

Best of luck to you Tom!

-Derek

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.