1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Bookmark

Thread:
3. Can you work too hard at overcoming TMS?
I think that what Ollin is saying about affirmations and neural pathways is correct. In my experience, PPD/TMS is about how we are being and thinking in the moment. It is less about our deeply repressed emotions. It is about understanding our personality trait that is being exhibited at that point in time. People pleasing, perfectionist, etc.

We can get too obsessed with trying to find the "answer" or find the person or procedure to fix us. I personally have had less success in digging up the past and more success in observing my current thought habits which cause the repression to occur. when I do that I find wrong thinking and I change my thought to something more productive, like what Ollin is mentioning. Or I allow myself to feel the emotion in that moment... Shame, guilt, anger, fear, worry, frustration... Whatever. I acknowledge it, observe it, then let it go or take some action on it. For example, I notice that I feel angry that my boss didn't tell me about budget cuts affecting my team. Rather that repress... Make a note to talk about it in our next one on one meeting.

The thing about pain, from my experience, is that it is distracting me from something... Something now. Not something from a long time ago. So the key for me has been to focus on the NOW in terms of my chronic thought patterns. What's going on now...... Journal about that.

These are my opinions from personal experience and from what i learned in my reading of PPD books. When I get off track.... I get pains and I'm reminded by the new pain experience to be mindful again.