1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Bookmark

Thread:
Tension Release Exercises for TMS?
Hi Rob,

Bless you. Thank you for sharing a bit about your background. That must have been really tough. I send you much healing love.

As to the subject of your post, I love TRE. It's been a while since I did them so am considering your post to be a nudge. I have found that to reap the very best results you really need to practice when there is no chance of being disturbed (should anyone stumble upon you they may think you've lost your marbles). My best experiences have been when I have the place to myself for a couple of hours so I can do the exercise and bask in the blessed peace that follows. And by peace I mean a state of sublime quiet and stillness throughout my entire body~mind. I am content to simply be. No thought. No movement. Nothing. Just me. I have never felt anything with that depth and freedom before.

Like @jlm I no longer need to do all the preparatory exercises. The last one, against the wall, is all I need.

For those who seem inclined towards more body-oriented healing approaches I would heartily suggest you give it a go. TRE is a welcome counter to journalling and the like so if you've tried that route with no joy this is a great alternative. It is beloved by veterans who generally shun talking therapies and there are clips on youtube where they speak about TRE and the profound healing it gives them.

Lastly, for anyone who cherishes Peter Levine's brilliant insights into trauma, these exercises are a completely natural way to achieve harmony, peace and resolution in your nervous system. The book is written by a man who has observed conflict and trauma first-hand over many years and across culture. It is fascinating reading in itself but worth buying alone simply for the how-to on these exercises. They are the logical next step and complement Levine wonderfully. Bonus, you can do them at home, by yourself!

Of all the many books I have bought on healing this is one of the best. As with all things it works best if you actually do it. Folk who have problems letting go may find it a tad challenging but that may be exactly what they need.

Thanks so much for posting about this Rob. I really appreciate it.

Plum x