1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Bookmark

Thread:
Open Letter to the people NOT getting better, or to those who want it FAST
"Hi. I am (blank) and I have been doing this for 5 years. I still have back pain, heart palpitations, digestive issues and knee pain.... I have tried pushing through and ignoring it and (lists a million new symptom focused treatments that Sarno never ever recommended) don't know why I am not getting better"

Every single time I read one of these there is NOTHING or very little about WHAT IS GOING ON IN YOUR LIFE????>>>>>> YOUR "INNER" LIFE. The one you are actually experiencing on a moment to moment basis. If your getting pissed at me writing this... THAT life! That is the front line of this battle.

That is : FAMILY OF ORIGIN. Mom, Dad, Sisters, Brothers, Homes, social service intervention etc. CHILDREN
PRIMARY PARTNERSHIP. Boyfriend, Girlfriend, Husband , Wife, partner, life mate or... LACK of partner
WORK. Job , career, Unemployment check, inheritances, LACK of funds, reliance on a corrupt system,etc.
HOME. Do you have one? Are you a renter? Where do you sleep at night? Are you one paycheck from the curb?
SPIRITUAL... what the fuck am I here for anyway? Why do I get up every morning and do...? Ontological musings
MORTALITY... Oh shit... my hair is thinner. My Boiler is growing. I am (blank) years old and have still not finished anything
MENTAL ENVIRONMENT.... What causes are you on the warpath for? What is the dialogue like among your ken?
MONEY.... do I have any? Why is it trickling away so fast? Who am I footing the bill for that is a bad deal?
FEAR. Who, what, why???? How many?

Most of the people's whose posts I want to respond to always talk about symptoms and how they may or may not have challenged them by returning to activity. That is only one little part of a much bigger program of overall self inspection and growing awareness. In fact, it was probably the easier part once I realized how NOT "OK" I was with the above list. I had major issues in virtually every category but I was "OK". Well, No I wasn't, but to the world I would have said "Everything's fine... nothing I can't handle.....ouch, my back is killing me"

I have situations still in my life that I am not 100% easy about. BUT, I remain in touch with my unease through regular inspection. ANY time I begin to have a new symptom, inevitably I have fallen asleep on my feet in one of the above categories.. or multiples. I have gotten "OK" again and the new distraction gets a little toe hold.

I get scared sometimes. I get angry, and sometimes a whole bunch in short order. I worry about the future. I get lonely. I want to be alone.Sometimes,nothing makes sense. That is all Good. When I can see that I remain distraction free.

Sarno wrote many anecdotes about people with TMS who were stuck. In every case, it was because that person couldn't wrap their head around how angry they were. In fact, many of them denied being angry at all. Inevitably when they began to understand it was in there and REPRESSED for their own 'good',and their symptoms eased up and went away.

If you have TMS, you know it in your heart of hearts. Focusing on the symptoms will only perpetuate the problem...it's gas on a fire. Dive into that list.... if it is too painful, you might need a hand from a professional. There is no shame in that. I got help. It was worth 10 times what I paid for it in the freedom I got after digging it out. You don't have to keep excavating forever... just leave the hole open so you can glance into it from time to time and say "Wow... I am NOT OK!"

..and then you will be ok.