1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Bookmark

Thread:
From HEALING BACK PAIN two surprising (to me) facts
from page 1O8 of HEALING BACK PAIN

'One of the most difficult concepts to grasp is the fact that one does not have to eliminate tension from one's life.
People ask "how do I change my personality and how do I stop generating anxiety and anger"

If these were prerequisites for recovery, my cure rate would be zero. it is not changing one's emotions; it is recognising that they exist and that the brain is trying to keep one from being aware of their existence through the mechanism of the pain syndrome.'

AND from page 146

'To the prescribers of treatments to promote relaxation . I would put the question "To what end?" What is your purpose in trying to relax the person?" What do you hope to accomplish?"

There is no question that a calm, relaxed person will experience less pain, but again we are engaged in symptomatic treatment. The basic disorder is not being treated. And how much time each day can be devoted to the relaxing exercises? I advise my patients that meditation and relaxation exercises can't hurt, but one cannot depend on them for the definitive relief of pain.'