1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Bookmark

Thread:
Freaking relapse
Sorry to hear about your relapse. Though I am over 5 years since recovery from TMS, I still get a relapse a couple of times a year. So I know how frustrating it is. But it is telling you that you need to look at the psychological factors in play in your life right now.

You state above that this is one of the most stressful periods in your life. While it may be that you can't change the stressful situations, you can change your reaction to them. Being free of TMS doesn't mean being free of stress (which is not even possible for most of us).

When I have a relapse, I get out paper and pencil again and begin exploring what my internal conflicts may be. What emotions am I needing to distract myself from? I keep digging deep until I get that ah-ha moment when I'm able to connect to the underlying psychological issues. This is usually enough to bring almost immediate relief from the pain, but sometimes its takes a few days to get my nervous system back to a calm state.

You can recover from this relapse, just as you recovered from TMS in the first place. You know it's TMS, so that puts you far along on the path to recovery.