1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Bookmark

Thread:
Who is the Inner Bully, really?
As time has passed, I'm no longer finding myself convinced by the idea of digging up deeply repressed emotions. Many people try it, but it works better just to try to live a good life.

Living a good life means many things, though. As I mentioned above, it means accepting our true emotions and not judging ourselves about them. It also means outcome independence (not stressing yourself out based on how things are going) and being kind to yourself. It means being mindful of your true emotions but gently and authentically turning toward constructive emotions rather than darker ones. Basically, living that good life in spite of whatever your TMS throws at you also implies doing everything in Alan's program and in other sources in the TMS world. Sometimes working with a therapist can help with this, but it isn't necessary, and sometimes working with a therapist causes us to take less ownership of our own progress.

Also, I think that it is counterproductive to think that we just have to "feel our feelings hard enough" (i.e. fits of tearful journaling) or that we have to find some deep and secret insight. I think those are red herrings left to us by 70s and 80s era popular books.

In short, happiness first and health will follow.

Does that answer your question?