- 1 Summary Table
- 2 General Information about specific software packages
- 3 Detailed discussions of availability of specific features in different software packages
- 4 Other Information
|Facebook Integration||Can Sign in with facebook account and comes with FB button||Yes||Uses an Extension|
|Tagging||No; has great Search and prefix: People can select prefixes that has the same affect as IP.board and the search feature is very comparable to the keyword function||Yes: the thread poster can choose the keywords and can make a keyword a prefix||Yes: It comes standard|
|Inviting||Yes: Some people may dislike the profile pop-up?||Yes: May be a little too professional||Yes|
|Community||Yes: Have the option to Like a thread: this is similar to FB, but does not correspond to a FB account. This is very similar to the "Is this helpful" function on the wetpaint site||Yes||Can't like posts|
|Accessible||Audio Captcha Option||Audio Captcha Option||Example|
|Profile Pages||Two Clicks to Story: When clicking on avatar a box pops up then must click on the Profile Page link to go to Profile Page. Then click on Information tab to see story||Yes after adjustment: Could include an About Me or Biography section, where people could write their Success Stories. This would show up in the center of the page and be one of the first things people see when the go to a person's profile page||Yes: It comes standard|
|Mobile Skin||Upcoming: Currently does not have this, however it is planned to be part of XF's next release which is slated to come out in the 2nd quarter of 2012||Yes: It currently has a Mobile Theme that can be used on smart phones, however the user must click the "Use Mobile Theme" option before it works. There is a chance first time users may not know about this or see this option||Not Standard: It has a few add-ons but they use a third party app that users would have to download on their phones and would have to pay for the app.|
|Mediawiki Integration||Has add-on: Allows people to use one account on both sites. It will also put recent wiki changes in the forums recent activity feed.||Has one sign in function and can make wiki Talk Page go to a forum thread|
|Recent Activity Feed||Through add-on: XenPorto add-on allows for a feed listing the most recent threads/activity in the forum to be placed on the landing page||Recent Topics: has a list of most recent threads in right sidebar, but includes only the title||Possible through an add-on: we may need to develop this ourselves|
|Privacy (AGE)||Standard posts age on profile page, but we make default hide the age or have no age limit||Standard Does not ask for age upon registration|
General Information about specific software packages
- Conversion from vB to Invision to XenForo. Conclusion: "So for all those negative observations I made about XenForo a year ago, about all I can say is to pass me another slice of that humble pie. I'm suddenly excited about my forums again and I've XenForo to thank for it." http://adminextra.com/threads/a-conversion-tale.5324/#post-43496
- Triphp's vB to Invision to XenForo conversion. Thread. Blog post.
- IPB vs. vBulletin vs. XF. It starts out slow, but by the end many informed people weigh in, sharing very thoughtful impressions. It is obvious that vBulletin is the clear former champ and looks like some people may have difficulty recognizing its decline. IPB isn't taken seriously by many and some people seem pretty unhappy with it. XenForo seems like a clear upan d comer. People accord it a lot of respect. http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89230
- Jedi Council Forums are switching from custom software to XenForo (large, old site): http://boards.theforce.net/rules_announcements/b10719/29569690/p1/?0#
- IGN is, I think, a gigantic forum network and is switching to XenForo.
- This guy prefers retro forums. This appears to be a preference shared by many with extensive forum experience, who prefer vBulletin, but it is less relevant for us because most of our visitors have far more experience with Facebook than with traditional forums. http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92244
- Misc addons: Chat room, Custom BBCodes
- IPB vs. vBulletin: http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91420&page=2
- IPS Software Feedback: http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83013
Woltlab Burning Board
Detailed discussions of availability of specific features in different software packages
Getting a Portal
People don't get excited about forums. What they get excited about is people's stories and experiences that they can sympathize with, relate to, or learn from. Thus, when someone clicks on the "forum" link on our home page, it is crucial that they immediately see something that they can relate to - something that is human and lets them know that they are surrounded by people who understand them. This is particularly important for our forum because some visitors may not know anything about PPD/TMS, and might be about to head back to their chiropractor or traditional treatment. It's vital that we show them that there is another way. A list of forum categories is very sterile, doesn't grab them emotionally, and won't do this.
An example of something similar that would work very well (but for a racing forum), is http://cliptheapex.com . This page is where people go immediately when they visit cliptheapex.com. Immediately they see interesting stories, which draw them in. It is implemented in XenForo (it's a XenForo website), but it currently requires manual updating.
- A XenForo mod that may provide this is XenPorto. An example is at 8wayrun.
- Discussion of the ClipTheApex page is on the owner's Profile page.
- Portal is another possible XenForo mod.
Having the ability for users to access the forum through a mobile device is very important.
- Invision Power: It currently has a Mobile Theme that can be used on smart phones, however the user must click the "Use Mobile Theme" option before it works.
- Woltlab: It has a few add-ons but they use a third party app that users would have to download on their phones and would have to pay for the app.
- XenForo: A mobile skin theme will be added to a new version that will come out in 2012. For more on this please visit http://xenforo.com/community/threads/development-update.25726/#post-311302
Ease of Accessing Information From Board from other scripts, such as Mediawiki
- http://ipbwiki.sourceforge.net/ Integrates IP.Board with Mediawiki. Has one sign-in function and can have the MW discussion tab link directly to a forum thread.
- http://xenforo.com/community/threads/schmitzit-xenforo-mediawiki-bridge.15834/ . Xenforo MW integration
- Source: http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92361
- Invision Power: This forum has the capability to include an About Me or Biography section, where people could write their Success Stories. This would show up in the center of the page and be one of the first things people see when the go to a person's profile page
- Woltlab: There profile pages include an "About Me" section that is easily edited and would serve as a great place for someone to put their Success Story
- XenForo: There is a sub-section in a person's profile page that allows user's to enter their own stories. However, this section is not the first thing people see when they go to a person's profile page. The section is under the "Introduction" tab, but we could rename this to "My Story" or "My Success Story." We would not, however, have the ability to make it be the first thing people see when they go to a person's profile page
- MyBB: Adding a section for a Success Story would require a significant amount of programming and is almost impossible.
Almost all forums send users email notifications when one of their threads or posts have been responded to. A few forums actually allow users to make forum posts via email, so when they receive a notification that someone responded to one of their posts, they can simply reply to that post by sending an email. This functionality has received mixed reviews from users of forums.
- Invision: Currently does not have this function. It has been brought up and is something they are considering, however it is not a high priority for them. When asked if they would ever have it, an IP staff member said, ""Ever" is a long time. I suspect at some point in time, IP.Board will support this natively (though when, I couldn't say)." In conclusion, email integration is something that may be in a future release of IP.Board, however there is not telling when this would occur, so we should move forward realizing that they do not have this ability.
- Woltlab: This does come standard with Woltalb. For more click here
- XenForo: The ability to reply by emails to threads has come up in their community forum, and it appears that this is not something that they will do in the near future. One of their arguments against this functionality was that is would prevent people, some of whom are the biggest contributors, from coming to the site. By going to the actual site to reply to a thread a person may see another thread that sounds interesting to them and reply to that one as well. The XenForo staff seems to think that having people come to the site to reply to threads increases the chance of users exploring the site.
- Invision has a skin called Deluxe which is almost identical to XenForo. It uses the same light blue/grey color and the peach color as well. The threads are designed in the same way with the photo and user name in a box on the left. The main difference is that when you click on the user image it takes you immediately to that user's profile page unlike on XenForo. The home page has the same structure as the default IP.Board, but the colors are that of XenForo's default.
Forum Administration Forums
Complete list of our forum posts
Interesting Links / Todo
- Great articles about general forum management. We should read these and share them with the rest of the Executive Council for building up and training a forum team. http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/articles.php? Similar information in the stickies here: http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15
- Clip the Apex (racing forum)'s guidelines. Perhaps we should copy them. http://cliptheapex.com/community/help/rules-and-guidelines
- At some point we may want to check out PsychLinks, since we probably have similar concerns : http://forum.psychlinks.ca/ . They use vBulletin.